Solved

HD 3870 Overheating ( I think)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2010 12:30:34 AM

Hi all,
Got an Asus Radeon 3870 and I started getting some artifacts while gaming (GTAIV, The Sims 3 etc..) Eventually it got to the point where the video would cut out before I even got to my desktop. I have a well ventilated case and the card is not OC's nor does the system need to be for this to happen. Also the card it self has a pretty large Zalman heatsink/fan on it.
So I checked the temp one day with an IR Thermometer and it was reading upwards of 190 F on some points on the back of the card, Simply while in BIOS. This seems a bit high to me. I realize the card is pretty old so I have already ordered a replacement but I was wondering what would cause it to get so hot.

Btw, I checked the fan by putting it directly on 12v from the PSU and it ran at the same temps.

Thanks!

More about : 3870 overheating

a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 12:47:46 AM

Well, it could be that the cooler on the GPU is full of dust and needs to be cleaned, seems like the most likely scenario.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 12:49:03 AM

That is getting pretty warm. 88C isn't far from the max temp of 100C. So, the fan is turning and it is still getting that hot? For a test, you could remove the side panel of the computer and set up an external fan blowing in on it. That should cool it sufficiently. Also, did you check for dust and all? Is the HSF still firmly attached?
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2010 1:24:43 AM

Thanks for the responces.
I did clean it like a week ago, and there actually is a 70+ cfm 250mm case fan pointing at it about 6 inches away. And I did check the HSF screws.

The thing that has me stumped is that it is only in BIOS and there are virtually no graphics when it does this.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:38:23 AM

calisonic said:
Thanks for the responces.
I did clean it like a week ago, and there actually is a 70+ cfm 250mm case fan pointing at it about 6 inches away. And I did check the HSF screws.

The thing that has me stumped is that it is only in BIOS and there are virtually no graphics when it does this.

I would check to see if the fan on the GPU is even working...
m
l
May 3, 2010 1:44:27 AM

Yep it's moving, got a nice little slice finding out once, but it is.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:51:40 AM

Hmm, all indications point to the card dying, it could be that the VRam is starting to go bad.
April 16, 2012 5:44:29 PM

the thermal compound used to cool the gpu degrades over time. try taking the hsf assembly off and reapply some new compound.
m
l
April 26, 2012 4:31:17 AM

Best answer selected by calisonic.
m
l
!