Sign in with
Your question

Physics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2010 1:12:32 AM

I am looking to upgrade my computer and ran across this 128MB BFG Ageia Physx Physics Rendering Video Card DDR3 PCI BFGRPHYSX128P. now a physics card is good for having a video card, or not having a video card. I have a zotac 9800gt at 512 mb ddr3 pci-e that supports physics from agia but was told a way back a phisics card is good to have but forgot why. should I get this pci card to run with my video card? or is it a waste of 35 dollars?

More about : physics card

a c 272 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:17:24 AM

IMHO it's a waste of cash but if you have an SLi mobo and really want to try PhysX then get another 9800GT and dedicate it to PhysX use and if you don't like the results then just switch to using it in SLi.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:18:41 AM

The 9800GT if I do recall has a physics engine built into it, but remember that only a few games utilize a PhysX engine...two I can think of are Crysis and Mirror's Edge. It's questionable help, unless you play alot of games that use PhysX (of which there are only a handful of). Here is NVidias website about PhysX, http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_new.html

There are only like 6 games listed....
m
l
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:27:23 AM

sk1939 said:
The 9800GT if I do recall has a physics engine built into it

It does not have a PhysX engine built in but it can be used as a PPU, all Nv cards from the 8600GT and up can be.
m
l
May 3, 2010 1:31:00 AM

Mousemonkey said:
IMHO it's a waste of cash but if you have an SLi mobo and really want to try PhysX then get another 9800GT and dedicate it to PhysX use and if you don't like the results then just switch to using it in SLi.

wish I could but my motherboard doesnt have another pci-e, looking to upgrade the motherboad later but for now I thought with the phisx card would help a lil...and my zotac works great and has phisx built in but someone told me that a phiscs card would help it along.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:32:26 AM

Mousemonkey said:
It does not have a PhysX engine built in but it can be used as a PPU, all Nv cards from the 8600GT and up can be.

OK, but I do agree that I would pass on it, theres just not enough use for it I think.
m
l
May 3, 2010 1:33:48 AM

ok good, then ill pass on getting it...thank you for your input
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:34:25 AM

Using a second card would take the load off the main GPU but then so would just switching off PhysX.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 1:59:28 AM

mindless728 said:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

do you play one of those games on that list a lot, my guess is probably not, so its not even worth it

This post of yours is getting boring now and yes, I do have and play a couple of games on that list.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 2:02:50 AM

Mousemonkey said:
This post of yours is getting boring now and yes, I do have and play a couple of games on that list.

but it does get the point across, enough people don't even realize that the games they play don't support the gpu PhysX
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 2:23:12 AM

Yeah, like the guy who just said Crysis. Its not on the list. I say keep posting that list so people start to know what does and doesn't support PhysX. (Yes I realize that Cryostasis is on that list, but that's not Crysis.)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 2:31:57 AM

4745454b said:
Yeah, like the guy who just said Crysis. Its not on the list. I say keep posting that list so people start to know what does and doesn't support PhysX. (Yes I realize that Cryostasis is on that list, but that's not Crysis.)

i didn't even realize that sk1939 said crysis, i just end up posting the list anyways, so thats what i do
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 2:36:02 AM

mindless728 said:
i just end up posting the list anyways, so thats what i do

My point exactly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 2:40:28 AM

4745454b said:

Meh, I'm so out of gaming that I just blend the two togather. Cryostasis is what I meant...studying for finals will screw your head I"m telling you.
m
l
!