Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Advice

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2010 9:22:56 PM

Hey,

I've currently got a nice computer with a Core i7 as my main PC. However, I also have a second PC that I use quite frequently actually and it's in need of a serious upgrade. The Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz CPU
Gigabyte K8VM800M Micro ATX Socket 754 Motherboard
1x512MB DDR400 RAM, 64MB to the onboard video.

As such, I was considering an upgrade. It's for general use only, the most important things being application loading time and minor gaming video performance.

I'm willing to spend to get the job done right, but let's try to keep it at or around $500. The OS doesn't count since I will be cloning my old HDD over to the new one, and disposing of the old HDD and parts. Here are the new parts I was considering: (reusing the case; it's mATX)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

That build I made before Memorial Day and at the time was only $515, obviously is now a bit more (GPU and SSD both went up $40, rebates disappeared). Suggestions?

More about : upgrading advice

June 8, 2010 12:04:53 AM

It would play games much better if you dropped the SSD and got a decent graphics card (like a 5770). Seems a shame to spend that much on an SSD for a computer that only pulls up web pages.

You didnt include any HDD. Samsung F3 500GB, Seagate 7200.12 500GB are the usual recommendations.
m
l
June 8, 2010 7:40:19 PM

I'll be reusing the old HDD (Samsung 80GB) and I don't really need one anyway since I won't be storing anything on here.

Oh and I just said minor gaming, because it'll be at 1024x768, and just stuff like Wizard 101 and Runescape and some games from 1999 :p  This PC will be for my little brother.

Are there any cheaper SSDs that still perform well?
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 8:57:18 PM

Runescape is a browser game you can play with onbaord graphics. Wizard 101 is a 3D MMO that will play much better with a real graphics card.

I cant see why you would spend so much on an SSD for low end system. Its your money, if you think its worthwhile then spend it.
m
l
June 8, 2010 9:09:03 PM

raybob95 said:
I'll be reusing the old HDD (Samsung 80GB) and I don't really need one anyway since I won't be storing anything on here.

Oh and I just said minor gaming, because it'll be at 1024x768, and just stuff like Wizard 101 and Runescape and some games from 1999 :p  This PC will be for my little brother.

Are there any cheaper SSDs that still perform well?

For that low of a budget, you will get more utility and efficiency out of other components (cpu, gpu, ram, mobo) than an SSD. Your system would underutilize the SSD, and at the outrageous prices of SSDs right now per GB, it is simply not worth it. Additionally, if the computer is only running web browsers and older (smaller) games like Wizard 101, then the SSD won't benefit them 90% of the time. As a matter of fact, the SSD wouldn't help run RuneScape at all, as not much data is actually loaded onto your drive.
m
l
June 9, 2010 1:08:33 AM

From my experience, Runescape requires a GPU to run in HD lol.

But since my budget is way over anyway, I guess I'll have to go with an HDD.

How about the WD1002FAEX? I have the WD1001FALS and it's been a great drive. I also could try the WD Black 640GB or Samsung F3 500GB.

m
l
June 9, 2010 5:24:29 PM

The FAEX model is a new fast 500GB platter drive.
m
l
June 9, 2010 7:43:22 PM

That looks very good actually (mATX, AMD X4, 5670, modular PSU; very good!), but I have no experience with A-Data or Biostar. The only MBs I've ever had have been Gigabyte.

How are they quality wise?

dndhatcher said:
The FAEX model is a new fast 500GB platter drive.

But the Samsung HD502HJ is too isn't it?
m
l
June 9, 2010 9:13:57 PM

raybob95 said:
Biostar. The only MBs I've ever had have been Gigabyte. How are they quality wise?
Ive not used Biostar. I think they have a reputation like ASRock. Some models are great values, some are trash. Id want to see a professional review or two recommending it before I bought. ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI and EVGA seem to have more consistent quality from model to model. I believe last time I said that Batchuka posted a couple links to reviews.

But the Samsung HD502HJ is too isn't it? said:
But the Samsung HD502HJ is too isn't it?
Yes, both samsung F3 models and the seagate 7200.12 500GB and 1TB models have 500GB platters.
m
l
June 10, 2010 4:23:20 AM

Yep AM3/785 Biostars very respectable bunch - drop by Xtremesystems AMD subsection for the lowdown :p 
m
l
June 10, 2010 2:02:35 PM

OK then unless I find any better combo deals I guess I'll go with the build batuchka posted above. (Plus the two fans I need of course)

Thanks!
m
l
June 10, 2010 2:04:12 PM

Yep - happy shopping/building You are welcomed ^^
m
l
!