Hi there,
I recently acquired a 4890 and put it into my system (i7 930, dx58so mobo, 6gb ram).

It was working fine with a previous 4870 but the 4890 will not boot correctly.

I get a long continuous/infinite set of beeps from my motherboard. The monitor screen shows a blinking dash "_" for a few sections and then cuts to nothing.

Is the GPU dead? I have both PCIe 6 pins connected with a ZM 750watt PSU, 60amps on 12v rails.

sk1939

Distinguished

I had a problem, back in the bad old days, with a Sempron + Biostar motherboard + ATi AIW 9600 Pro. When I contacted Biostar they said basically the card was too good for the motherboard. I'm not sure that it applies to PCIe cards though. Sometimes BIOS revisions update certain incompatibilities which is why I was asking if you had the latest version BIOS for your computer.

Yes, I have the latest BIOS from April 2010. My previous BIOS was from 2009 or so, but both BIOS versions were newer than the 4890.

My mobo is an i7 1366 dx58so, so I doubt it's because the card is too good for the mobo.

My mobo manual doesn't mention what a long continuous series of beeps represent.

sk1939

Distinguished

The beeps is what made me think of it, because thats what mine did. At the very least try that card in another computer and see if it works.

Maybe this isn't relevant, but try to swap your stick of RAM or try each one, maybe one of them is broke, i have this problem on my brother's computer...
After i swap then the PC is boot normally...

Sorry if i'm not help at all...