Compaq Armada 1750 Power On Password??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2004 1:25:09 AM

Hello, all. I have an Armada 1750 that I purchased on Ebay. The item
description stated that it had a BIOS password, and that they could
not get into the laptop. Well, as it turns out, the password is
actually a Power On Password, which I have no idea how to get around.

I know from reading past posts that simply removing the CMOS battery
will not work, and is a waste of time. Would anyone be so kind as to
instruct me on how to overcome the Power On Password. I am not a
thief, I did buy this on Ebay for my daughter, and I would be happy to
provide the item number to anyone kind enough to help me with this
issue.

Thank you for your time!!

Chaser
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2004 2:41:33 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:25:09 -0500 "Mumbato"
used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops

>Hello, all. I have an Armada 1750 that I purchased on Ebay. The item
>description stated that it had a BIOS password, and that they could
>not get into the laptop. Well, as it turns out, the password is
>actually a Power On Password, which I have no idea how to get around.

Search for seller "pwcrack" on Ebay. I've never dealt w/him, but he
has a 100% rating.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2004 7:12:39 AM

The only comment that I'd make is that while you are generally correct
about removing the battery not helping, in my personal experience, the
ONLY models on which this has worked have been Compaq models, however
they were VERY old models (486's).

The technique for clearing a password is different for every mfgr., and
often for different models even within a brand.

Mumbato wrote:

> Hello, all. I have an Armada 1750 that I purchased on Ebay. The item
> description stated that it had a BIOS password, and that they could
> not get into the laptop. Well, as it turns out, the password is
> actually a Power On Password, which I have no idea how to get around.
>
> I know from reading past posts that simply removing the CMOS battery
> will not work, and is a waste of time. Would anyone be so kind as to
> instruct me on how to overcome the Power On Password. I am not a
> thief, I did buy this on Ebay for my daughter, and I would be happy to
> provide the item number to anyone kind enough to help me with this
> issue.
>
> Thank you for your time!!
>
> Chaser

a b D Laptop
October 18, 2004 7:39:27 PM

The simplest thing to do is buy a systemboard/lower unit on Ebay. They are
generally quite cheap.
"Mumbato" <mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, all. I have an Armada 1750 that I purchased on Ebay. The item
> description stated that it had a BIOS password, and that they could
> not get into the laptop. Well, as it turns out, the password is
> actually a Power On Password, which I have no idea how to get around.
>
> I know from reading past posts that simply removing the CMOS battery
> will not work, and is a waste of time. Would anyone be so kind as to
> instruct me on how to overcome the Power On Password. I am not a
> thief, I did buy this on Ebay for my daughter, and I would be happy to
> provide the item number to anyone kind enough to help me with this
> issue.
>
> Thank you for your time!!
>
> Chaser

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2004 8:10:42 PM

First, I would like to thank all three of you who took time and effort
to give suggestions as to my situation. Very kind!

As to removing my password chip, and sending it to the fellow on Ebay
to crack, then having to re-surface solder it back to the board, would
probably be beyond my scope of ability. I've done soldering on
electronics, but not to that extent.

The most viable option seems to be to either replace the mobo, which I
do feel confident of doing, or perhaps just to obtain another 1750 for
the daughter, and sell the one with the power on password.

In any event, thank you's much for the input! I am always lurking and
reading as much as I can in this section of Usenet, and always walk
away the better for it.

Chaser
!