Ongoing problem with booting

seitil

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hey everyone, I have had my custom built computer for about 3 years now and for the last year, year and a half its been having trouble booting past the BIOS screen. What is very odd is that it seems completely random, sometimes when i boot it fresh in the morning it will hang there, and sometimes if my computer locks up it will reboot and hang there. Whenever i manually restart it from the startup menu it seems to hang at the bios screen.

Here is what I have done so far in an attempt to remedy the problem.

1. Tried a different power supply, thinking it might be a power issue I did this first, after testing it out for about a week i noticed i was still encountering the problem.

2. Try a new boot drive. I installed a new ssd from which i boot windows 7, did a complete windows 7 reinstall on it and wiped my old boot drive (a 74 gig raptor). This also did not work.

3. Lastly and most recently I installed a new graphics card, i got a gtx560 ti installed over my old 9800 gt. I assumed this wasnt going to do anything and just wanted a new card, and as i was right, it did nothing.

In many occasions I have managed to fix the problem temporarily by turning off the power supply with the switch at the back, or opening the case and reconnecting all the modular power supply leads but most recently, today infact, i have tried literally everything after my computer had locked up to get it to boot past the bios screen and nothing is working.

Does anyone know what else it could be? I am thinking it might be a cpu or mobo problem now since that is one of the last pieces to my computer that is still original. I am running a Core 2 duo e8600 on a DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone out there might be able to help me out!

Many thanks,
Seitil