Sign in with
Your question

Your opinion

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2010 5:34:24 AM

Just looking for some opinions - I have a q6600 quad at 2.4 thats never been oc'd or anything. I also have dd2 800 ram.

Im wondering if you guys think its time to upgrade. I know this is still pretty good but I like to have something close to top of the line, while still keeping it a reasonable price. I've already had this for 3+ years.

I would need a new mobo for the processor/ddr3 ram. Would also probably get a new psu since I only have a 550w atm. If I were to upgrade I would get a mobo with xfire since I already have a 5850 and for ddr3/faster ram. I'm kinda leaning towards amd over intel.

If you do think I should upgrade you could link a new mobo/processor. Was thinking 200ish for the mobo and not to sure about the processor.

I was sorta thinking to buy everything kinda slowly - more or less when there is deals on good ***... I dont need it right away so im open to suggestions. If you think I should just over clock for my current processor I have a antec 900 case. I'm using the default heat sink - I think.

Thanks in advance.

More about : opinion

a c 201 à CPUs
August 9, 2010 5:38:57 AM

You should still be able to get a bit more life out of your system, if you get yourself a fairly universal cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ you should be able to get a decent overclock out of it. Get the Hyper 212+ off amazon not newegg and save $20. Overclocking your system should give you pretty good performance at least until bulldozer and sandy bridge come out, and you can then upgrade to one of them.
m
l
August 9, 2010 5:45:01 AM

hunter315 said:
You should still be able to get a bit more life out of your system, if you get yourself a fairly universal cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ you should be able to get a decent overclock out of it. Get the Hyper 212+ off amazon not newegg and save $20. Overclocking your system should give you pretty good performance at least until bulldozer and sandy bridge come out, and you can then upgrade to one of them.

Would I be able to reuse it with that new processor when it comes out... I could just wait for it to come out. I dont absolutely need to upgrade right now. I just dont want to buy it to use it for 3 months.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 103 à CPUs
August 9, 2010 6:00:06 AM

Of course you can, just clean off the old tmi paste when you do and re-apply new paste before mounting on the new chip,
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2010 4:05:05 PM

definitely overclock that Q6600, i have mine @ 3.6 24/7 and it serves me well. I had a 5870 that i was running in my Q6600 system and it worked great, so great in fact that when i brought the 5870 to my brother's house to try it on his i5 750 system i saw little difference and his i5 was clocked to 3.3 so you have plenty life left in the Q6600... What current motherboard do you have?
m
l
August 9, 2010 8:07:11 PM

jonpaul37 said:
definitely overclock that Q6600, i have mine @ 3.6 24/7 and it serves me well. I had a 5870 that i was running in my Q6600 system and it worked great, so great in fact that when i brought the 5870 to my brother's house to try it on his i5 750 system i saw little difference and his i5 was clocked to 3.3 so you have plenty life left in the Q6600... What current motherboard do you have?

Asus P5k SE
m
l
a c 201 à CPUs
August 9, 2010 8:29:43 PM

The hyper 212+ is able to mount on every processor today, when sandy bridge and bulldozer come out cooler master will likely release a mounting bracket for like $5 so you can use it with those processors too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2010 2:41:11 PM

mcniglsworth said:
Asus P5k SE

You can certainly overclock that Q6600 on that motherboard. Get an aftermarket cooler (like the hyper 212+ that others are suggesting) and overclock for free performance boost. Start here, this is a great overclocking guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...
m
l
!