Your opinion

Just looking for some opinions - I have a q6600 quad at 2.4 thats never been oc'd or anything. I also have dd2 800 ram.

Im wondering if you guys think its time to upgrade. I know this is still pretty good but I like to have something close to top of the line, while still keeping it a reasonable price. I've already had this for 3+ years.

I would need a new mobo for the processor/ddr3 ram. Would also probably get a new psu since I only have a 550w atm. If I were to upgrade I would get a mobo with xfire since I already have a 5850 and for ddr3/faster ram. I'm kinda leaning towards amd over intel.

If you do think I should upgrade you could link a new mobo/processor. Was thinking 200ish for the mobo and not to sure about the processor.

I was sorta thinking to buy everything kinda slowly - more or less when there is deals on good ***... I dont need it right away so im open to suggestions. If you think I should just over clock for my current processor I have a antec 900 case. I'm using the default heat sink - I think.

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about your opinion
  1. You should still be able to get a bit more life out of your system, if you get yourself a fairly universal cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ you should be able to get a decent overclock out of it. Get the Hyper 212+ off amazon not newegg and save $20. Overclocking your system should give you pretty good performance at least until bulldozer and sandy bridge come out, and you can then upgrade to one of them.
  2. hunter315 said:
    You should still be able to get a bit more life out of your system, if you get yourself a fairly universal cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ you should be able to get a decent overclock out of it. Get the Hyper 212+ off amazon not newegg and save $20. Overclocking your system should give you pretty good performance at least until bulldozer and sandy bridge come out, and you can then upgrade to one of them.

Would I be able to reuse it with that new processor when it comes out... I could just wait for it to come out. I dont absolutely need to upgrade right now. I just dont want to buy it to use it for 3 months.
  3. Of course you can, just clean off the old tmi paste when you do and re-apply new paste before mounting on the new chip,
    Moto
  4. definitely overclock that Q6600, i have mine @ 3.6 24/7 and it serves me well. I had a 5870 that i was running in my Q6600 system and it worked great, so great in fact that when i brought the 5870 to my brother's house to try it on his i5 750 system i saw little difference and his i5 was clocked to 3.3 so you have plenty life left in the Q6600... What current motherboard do you have?
  5. jonpaul37 said:
    definitely overclock that Q6600, i have mine @ 3.6 24/7 and it serves me well. I had a 5870 that i was running in my Q6600 system and it worked great, so great in fact that when i brought the 5870 to my brother's house to try it on his i5 750 system i saw little difference and his i5 was clocked to 3.3 so you have plenty life left in the Q6600... What current motherboard do you have?

Asus P5k SE
  6. The hyper 212+ is able to mount on every processor today, when sandy bridge and bulldozer come out cooler master will likely release a mounting bracket for like $5 so you can use it with those processors too.
  7. mcniglsworth said:
    Asus P5k SE

You can certainly overclock that Q6600 on that motherboard. Get an aftermarket cooler (like the hyper 212+ that others are suggesting) and overclock for free performance boost. Start here, this is a great overclocking guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Processors