General computer engineering help please?

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I'll start off by say that I am sorry if this is in the wrong section or if I broke any rules im unaware of.

I was just wondering if anyone out there could reccomend some Books that would be a good read for someone interested in learning about how computers work at a hardware level. Like for example, books on have graphics cards work, how they control memory within the system, specific details on information such as what a GPU does, how the graphics board affects the GPU, how the card is affected by/how it affects DirectX/OpenGL, etc. Or like what different chipsets there are and how they work, how they work with other hardware components, etc.

Basicly I want to learn in all, im interested in learning all there is to know about Personal Computer engineering, and from experience, as well as from hearing other people tell me so; Free information - especialy that which is found on the internet - often misses a lot of key points or blatently does not teach you everything. People in this forum section can appreciate the saying "You get what you pay for" so you understand what im getting at.

Books/eBooks would be greatly appreciated, and if you dont happen to know any, list some decent sources of information such as particular websites. Before anyone mentions it, No I am not going to go to school for this, for the reasons that I am A) not in the position by ANY means, where i can return to school. and B) I prefer to learn at my own pace from books, rather than other people, its just the way I am. Don't try and tell me there are no books, because we all know these people arent born with an advanced understanding of computer engineering, people in said schools learned from books too, and the names of some of those books would be appreciated or like I said, ANY books that I can learn from.

I'll take any sources you can offer, Any help is greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance, fine members of TomsHardware. :kaola:

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Alright awesome, thanks for the site. Also Ive used google alot, and I read about many books too, but most of them are specific to one thing such as "Programming with Microprocessors for Hardware" or "Hardware - Software and Firmware Design" but nothing akin to just, the inner workings of Personal Computer components, like no books that are Learning and Referencing to Motherboards or Graphics Cards, just systems as a Whole, and usualy its a specific system like a Server or a "Setting up a Raid system".

If you know any books specific to PC hardware let me know please. I know some basic and intermediate stuff already, but even if you have beginners books, or know of any, let me know, cause there is always something new to learn.

shovenose

Distinguished

btw, im 15 and looking to get a+ certified. will the a+ for dummies book give me all the specific info i will need for the test? i already know about computers cuz i build/repair them...).
is the test hard?
thanks!

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
What do you mean "A+ For Dummies"? Is it called "PC Hardware A+ For Dummies"? .-. sorry im a bit outta my head right now and i just didnt grasp what you were saying xD whats the full name of the book?
Also yeah I plan to do some work on it as a hobby in the future, but lets be honest, its an Expensive hobby. So i just plan to read these books for the time being, take some serious notes, do some test work, etc.

Continue onwards please :bounce:

EDIT: Btw guys when i say how they work, i dont mean general specifics alone, i mean down to the very core, the way it interacts at a scientific level. like how the processor sends bytes of data to the VGA and how it processes them in the GPU and stores/outputs them back to the screen. or how the chipset contols the bits of data and burns them to memory. both the Technical AND Scientific. not neccesarily all in one source but...anyhting you can give.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Honestly if you want to learn that goto college?

I remember learning the basics in my 340 Hardware couse. And the guy was no joke, he talked about flip-flips, nodes, IA32, single phase... things that nobody would recognize these days.

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Im pretty sure I stated that going back to school is not only a choice I dont WANT to make, its also a physical impossibility for me. The guy who taught you learned by reading books, just like you did in school. Thanks for the input regardless, but id appreciate it if you could mention a few resources such as the ones you may have used in college, or references/resources you use Now.

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Lol I've googled plenty thanks. It only gets you so far, especialy when you don't know the right keywords, and have exausted all the possible keywords I can think of. Also you made a post in my thread yesterday that was actualy useful, why the sudden change of tune?

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Your not out of school yet? I'm not from the States, I live in Canada and as far as I know, the kids here got out about a week ago in my town. But I hear different dates all the time, some kids were out 3 weeks ago, some have a month to go, its all messed up. its on a Per-County basis I believe.

And yeah it did seem rude when I read it but its quite alright, I understand. Ive been out of school for 5 years now but I can still remember All the tests and excitement near the end of each school year.

Now to get back on topic, Do you know any more sources similar to www.hardwaresecrets.com ? or any books you may have read or heard about?

shovenose

Distinguished
i have a book called UPGRADING AND FIXING A PC by STUART YARNOLD it has lots of good info in it about parts selection and how to build a pc i mean i already new how to do it but i bought it as refernce. its fun to read i actually read the whole thing twice :) but its a few years old so it only goes up to the core2quads

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Awesome, I'll check it out! I dont care if the books are a little dated, Core2quads are faaaairrrllyy new, even still, any information is wanted information.

skjusto

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Search for ebooks on gigapedia, much better selection than just using google. You'll need a gmail account for it though. I don't know much on the Field of computer engineering but I'm sure they have plenty of books on it.

JeremyHill

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Alright awesome! Ill look into it right away.
If anyone else has any more info feel free to share.