Sign in with
Your question

PSU or Motherboard causing PC freeze

Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2011 8:32:25 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a constant problem with my pc as it is freezing in games and while browsing files and watching videos, the sound loops and I have to reset from the button. Basically it happens randomly. This is my setup:

RAM: OCZ2RPR10664GK 4gb Kit [5-5-5-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) DRAM voltage to 2.1 Volts Frequency 1066]
Motherboard: Abit IX38 QuadGt
Graphics: Powercolor HD4870
Processor: Q6600
PSU: OCZGXS700

I think it might be either motherboard or PSU but I don't have spares to test. I tried getting the freeze more frequently and the only thing that made the freeze occur more was when i set TRAS 15. i don't know if this means anything. I would appreciate some ideas from you guys as I'm really at a loss for how to fix this. I also tried with single RAM modules and it froze on both sticks.

Thanks,
Raziel90
March 4, 2011 2:01:16 AM

raziel90 said:
Hi everyone,
I have a constant problem with my pc as it is freezing in games and while browsing files and watching videos, the sound loops and I have to reset from the button. Basically it happens randomly. This is my setup:

RAM: OCZ2RPR10664GK 4gb Kit [5-5-5-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) DRAM voltage to 2.1 Volts Frequency 1066]
Motherboard: Abit IX38 QuadGt
Graphics: Powercolor HD4870
Processor: Q6600
PSU: OCZGXS700

I think it might be either motherboard or PSU but I don't have spares to test. I tried getting the freeze more frequently and the only thing that made the freeze occur more was when i set TRAS 15. i don't know if this means anything. I would appreciate some ideas from you guys as I'm really at a loss for how to fix this. I also tried with single RAM modules and it froze on both sticks.

Thanks,
Raziel90

it could be that something is overheating such as the video card or processor
a c 112 V Motherboard
March 4, 2011 2:10:02 AM

I would run a Memtest86+.
http://www.memtest.org/
Run bootable disc.
Test one stick at a time.
If you get errors the ram is most likely the cause of your issues.
Related resources
March 4, 2011 5:11:28 PM

Hi, thx for the input. Both sticks were tested and came out ok. I'm sure its not a heating issue. Checked temps and they look ok too
Graphic card is 30 degrees idle 62 max and cpu does not go over 40 degrees
March 4, 2011 5:35:52 PM

raziel90 said:
Hi, thx for the input. Both sticks were tested and came out ok. I'm sure its not a heating issue. Checked temps and they look ok too
Graphic card is 30 degrees idle 62 max and cpu does not go over 40 degrees

it could be a softwere isue try reinstalling your os
March 4, 2011 9:54:58 PM

I was orignally using raid 0 configuration but I thought it was from that, I then formatted and reinstalled on 1 hard disk and it still happens
a c 194 V Motherboard
March 4, 2011 10:35:12 PM

Run OCCT's GPU and CPU test and monitor voltages. If you see more than a 3% variation (ATX spec is 5%), I'd wonder about voltage anomalies causing your OC issues.

What does event viewer say, if anything ?

March 5, 2011 2:27:15 PM

Hey again, i ran the OCCT tests and i got 3.85 percent Ripple on the vcore. That the highest ripple I got in both tests
!