Sign in with
Your question

Going CrossFire with normal 4890 or XXX 4890

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2010 6:40:08 AM

Hi guys,

I'm just about ready to buy my second XFX 4890, because they're running really, really low, and I don't want to miss out on getting my second one.

I just wanted to know if the XXX 4890 has any advantage over the regular 4890 (in general and in CF with a regular 4890) and if it is actually a good idea. What is the better option? XXX 4890 + 4890 or 2x 4890?

EDIT: In the event that I can't find an XFX 4890 at all, is it OK to use another brand, such as Gigabyte or ASUS?

Cheers,

rider_eragon
May 3, 2010 6:45:59 AM

I'm pretty sure that you could use another brand 4890, but alot of people like to keep the same brand.

As far as the other questions, idk, my specialty is Nvidia...
m
l
May 3, 2010 6:56:57 AM

Tell us the rest of your specs(proc, ram, psu, monitor)..
It not wise to CF 4890, they will consumes lot of power and produce MUCH heat.

How much do you want to spend?
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2010 7:13:15 AM

My specs are in my sig.

But...

CPU: Intel i7 860 @ 3.6GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2000MHz
Case: Antec 902
PSU: Corsair 750W HX

And I don't really want to spend any more than US$180. Nor do I want to get rid of my current card.
m
l
May 3, 2010 7:13:20 AM

rider_eragon said:
Hi guys,

I'm just about ready to buy my second XFX 4890, because they're running really, really low, and I don't want to miss out on getting my second one.

I just wanted to know if the XXX 4890 has any advantage over the regular 4890 (in general and in CF with a regular 4890) and if it is actually a good idea. What is the better option? XXX 4890 + 4890 or 2x 4890?

EDIT: In the event that I can't find an XFX 4890 at all, is it OK to use another brand, such as Gigabyte or ASUS?

Cheers,

rider_eragon

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
You can CF a 4890 with a 4890 XXX edition,but generally the faster card will lower its speeds to reach the slower one.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-f...
"
What about brands ?
Well the brand doesn't matter , again for example , you can use a XFX card with a EVGA card , or a SAPPHIRE card with a DIAMOND card , just make sure they have the same memory and same clocks.

What will happend if 2 cards have the same amount of memory but one has higher clocks than the other?
One of the best ways to learn is to make examples.
You have a 8800GT(Normal edition,no OverClocks) and you want to add another 8800GT(Which is OverClocked),then:

1_The OverClocked one will lower its clocks to reach the Non-OverClocked card.

2_You can OverClock your card(The one that has Stock frequencies) and reach the OverClocked card.
Remember, you cant ALWAYS OverClock the normal card to reach the other card,because it may not OverClock that much and may become unstable.

WARNING:There are many exceptions in Computer Hardware, for example "Mousemonkey" (a trusted member in this forum) has told me that when he puts his ASUS 7900GT card (Which is at stock speeds) with a XFX 7900GT(A OverClocked card) the ASUS one raise its clock to reach the XFX one which is an exception and there are lots of exceptions in Computer Hardware."
m
l
May 3, 2010 7:39:15 PM

The XXX card is just a regular 4890 with higher default clocks. You can generally overclock a regular 4890 to at least 900MHz. The factory overclocked 4890s are generally higher binned chips that have a slightly better chance at overclocking past 1GHz. That's the only difference.

As for different clocks, crossfire is generally more forgiving. When I crossfired my 3850s, the drivers let me set different clocks for each. Even so, it produced some oddities in different games (mostly limited to older titles) and I had less trouble when both cards had the same clocks, or at least close to it.
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:34:48 PM

I'm also looking to find another XFX 4890 XXX edition to CF. The only real advantage of the XXX edition is the cooling shroud that exhausts heat out of the case. It should be no problem to OC a regular XFX 4890 but they exhaust heat into your case. Just something to consider to if your case doesn't have the best air flow, as these cards do run hot.
m
l
May 25, 2010 8:23:14 PM

I have 2 4890 XXX editions that were used for a total of 6 months if people are interested. One of them is returned from an RMA with XFX because the fan was making noise, the other was removed from the case and put in the original box as a backup.
m
l
!