• Video
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2010 12:44:10 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: as soon as possible

BUDGET RANGE: Less than 650 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Searching the internet (most of where I go are not big websites, except for Facebook.)

Downloading with Bittorrent, Emule and Xunlei

Video conversions (mostly AVI to DVD format using AVI2DVD, DVDShrink, VirtualDubMod or SUPER - nothing hi-def)

Playing videos with either BSPlayer or VLC Player.

I scan for viruses every night with AVG (the full version)

I defragment once a week. I set my Mozilla to always delete temp and temporary files.

I usually leave my computer on 24/7

Burning DVDs (Either data dvd-r or dvd video. I always convert before I burn. I use DvdDecrypter to burn iso files and AShampoo to burn data disks.)

I will use Windows XP Professional

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, power cables, keyboard, mouse, speakers, surge protector, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tiger Direct, but I don't mind ordering elsewhere if it's cheaper

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA (New York)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Doesn't matter as long as they are good

OVERCLOCKING: Not sure what this means

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not sure what this means

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I don't have a monitor yet. I will get one cheap from a thrift shop. I usually use a smaller dimension so my desktop can fit more icons.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: First, let me apologize if I give too much information, I just want to make sure you know everything.

I am looking for a computer that will last; I bought myself a laptop that died in a little over a year. After that, I decided I'm sticking with a desktop and one that can be built according to my specs. I don't use newer programs, I don't play games, I don't use Blu-Ray, I'm old fashioned with my computer useage. I'm hoping that my computer will last a real long time (meaning several years) because of this.

I would like a computer that will function without overheating or turning off so I can search the internet while converting videos. I never touch my computer while burning disks.

I've always been the cautious type so I'm looking for features that are a little bit higher then necessary in order to be safe.

I can't attempt to put the computer together myself as I am Deaf and have a cochlear implant. I have a magnet on the inside and on the outside of my head which could easily interfere with the parts. Therefore, I have a friend who knows how to put together a desktop computer. I need to make sure that what I am getting is ready to be assembled and will work fine without any hardware adjustments.

I know I will need to get an antistatic wrist strap for my friend to use. He does have the neccessary screwdrivers. Please let me know if there are any other parts or accessories I will need for this task? Screws, cases, paste, SATA cables, etc?

I used the stickied "Homebuilt PC Buying Guide" as my guidelines

CPU Processor:
First choice:
I69-0530 ::Intel Core i3 530 Processor BX80616I3530 - 2.93GHz, LGA 1156, 4MB L3 Cache, Dual-Core, Retail Processor w/ Fan

Motherboard:
First choice:
G452-1005 ::Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 Motherboard - AMD 740G/SB700, Socket AM2+/AM2, mATX, HD Audio, DVI, VGA, PCI-E, Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0, SATA, RAID(2.45 lbs)

RAM / Memory
First choice:
C19-4400 ::Crucial Ballistix 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2 x 2048MB)(0.1 lbs)

Graphics Card (I assume this is the same as a video card)
First Choice:
M452-4650 ::MSI R4650-MD1G Radeon HD 4650 Video Card - 1GB GDDR2, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX, VGA, DVI (Dual Link), HDMI(0.42 lbs)

Hard Drive
First choice:
TSD-250AS8 ::Seagate ST3250318AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 250GB, 7200, 8MB, SATA-300(1 lbs)

Alternative: If my first choice isn't good, then anything that's cheap and reliable is good for me. No less than 160 GB.

Power Supply
First choice:
B52-3013 ::BFG 450-Watt ATX Black Power Supply(4.95 lbs)

Case
First choice:
G452-8018 ::Gigabyte GZ-X4 ATX Mid Tower Case - No PSU, MicroATX, 2 x USB 2.0, 7x 3.5 Drive Bays, 4x 5.25 Drive Bays(13.5 lbs)

Alternatives: I really like my first choice. If it's not good for whatever reason, then I could care less what it looks like. The cheapest functional case is good enough for me.

Optical Disk Drive
In my experience, burners always eventually break. Every PC I've ever had or used eventually lost the compatibility to burn disks. I bought a cheap Sony drive for 20 bucks that I plan on using only for data and I already have a Memorex external dvd burner which I am very happy with.
The one that I have (It didn't come with any cables):
Sony 24X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive, Model AD-7240S-0B

Heat Sink Fan
First choice:
T925-1274 ::Thermaltake A21 140mm TurboFan Computer Case Fan(1 lbs)

Thermal Paste
Do I need this? If so, any specific kind or can I buy the cheapest one I can find?

Case Fan
I already picked the fan under Heat Sink Fan or do I need a second one?

And I have a few questions please:
I do not see anything about a sound card on the list? Is this something I need to purchase seperately like I do the video card? If it is, I just need something cheap, functional, and clear. I'm sick of my sound disappearing after a while of using it. I don't need any fancy, hi-def or surround sound card as I am Deaf and don't need it.

I want to get an extra fan to just plug in and let it blow inside the case. Is this possible or just unneccessary? Every computer I've ever had always overheats on me.

Is it cheaper and easier to stick with my USB WIFI adapter or should I get some kind of WIFI hardware?

This might sound like a stupid question but is there a way to have a SATA cable connected internally but the other end hanging out of the case? This way, I don't have to use my USB to SATA adapter all the time? The power cable is not always strong enough for some of my drives.

I found several possible alternatives to all the components. I have no clue if they are compatible or not, but if there are any problems with my first choices and you want to see what my alternatives are, I will gladly post them.

If there is anything I can do to make your helping me easier for you, please let me know.

Thank you for any and all the help that I am (hopefully) about to receive. If you need any additional details or questions to ask, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Ian

More about : mediocre cpu video converting 500 700

Best solution

June 8, 2010 1:17:27 AM

Don't need a sound card onboard is fine.

GPU wise you'd be fine with a HD 5450. $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU wise you should probably get an athlon ii X4. $100

Stick with the stock HSF, don't need another one.

Here's a cheap GA mobo with USB 3 $80

Case
Antec Illusion 300 $60

RAM
Ripjaw 1333 7-7-7-21 $110

Optical + PSU
Sony + OCZ 700W $75 w/ $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

HD
Spinpoint F3 500gb $55

Total: $540 before shipping and $20 MIR

Why do you want a SATA cable going out of the case? HD's need a power connected as well as SATA. SATA cables carry no power.

It's easiest to just plug your computer into our router/modem using a cat 4/5 cable.
June 8, 2010 1:19:01 AM

Also, don't need an antistatic wrist wrap. Touching the computer's case will ground you or your friend.

All needed screws/cables come with MOBO and case.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 2:16:59 AM

Banthracis,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and your fast reply.

The CPU, RAM, PSU and Hard Drive all sounds good.

The case is a lot more expensive than I thought but it looks perfect for me because of all the fans inside. Thanks for that great suggestion!

About the SATA, I didn’t realize that. I thought if it was connected to the SATA in the case, the PSU would somehow supply the power. Like I said, it was probably a stupid question :) 

Three questions please;

The PSU sounds like a good buy. I see that I can get the PSU for $55 with the rebate if I don’t purchase the burner. Will the Sony optical that I already bought be compatible with this computer?

About the GPU, I don’t mind spending the extra 10 bucks for my first choice. Is my first choice better and is it compatible? I understand I would be fine with the one you mentioned, but for the video card, I think I would like something a little better since I do plan on converting videos a lot.

The motherboard that you suggested sounds good but I'm very nervous about the bad reviews that it has. I looked up some other Gigabyte products and they also have mixed reviews. Is there maybe a good non-Gigabyte brand you can recommend instead?

Thanks again for your help!
m
l
June 8, 2010 2:37:52 AM

Well technical the 5450 has DX11 support as well as eyefinity support, all while passively cooled (less noise) and generates less heat and uses less power.

Still get MIR if you buy the PSU and optical in a combo. It's a free optical, hence why I used that PSU, which is actually much more than you need really. But $55 for a decent PSU + optical is a very good deal.

Gigabyte and Asus are the Top MOBO manufacturers. It's rated 4 stars with 71% 5 star ratings.
Also, lots of idiots on newegg reviews. Ex. 2 guys gave 1 star because they bought a hexacore processor and complained it won't work because they can't flash the bios. Their fault for no doing their research before purchasing.

edit: 3 guys complaining about hexacore support, and 1 guy trying to unlock a 4th core using eztune...ROFL. So yea, remember, even a 6 year who can't tell the difference between a computer and a brick wall can post a review on Newegg.
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:07:47 AM

Sounds good then. I'm taking your advice.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:12:29 AM

Best answer selected by skeptikaltruth.
m
l
!