Sign in with
Your question

Speed difference upgrade from vertex to latest ssd?

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2012 1:57:30 AM

Hi, I have a 128gb vertex and am wondering if I should upgrade to a newer drive.
Will I see much of a real world speed increase?
a c 504 G Storage
July 30, 2012 2:25:22 AM

If you have the 1st generation Vertex, then yes, there will be a definite real world difference going to the Vertex 4.

If you have the Vertex 2 or Vertex 3 the main difference will be in Windows startup and shutdown.
You probably won't notice any other real world difference unless you're dealing with incompressible files on a regular basis.
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 2:30:45 AM

I agree.

I had a WD Velociraptor hard drive and went to a SATA 2, OCZ Vertex 2 drive for Windows. Despite that fast hard drive, I noticed a big difference going to that SSD.

Due to not enough space I got two more 60GB drives in a 3xRAID0 setup which then took me from approx 260MB/second to 700MB/second or roughly THREE TIMES the speed.

Did I actually notice the difference in booting and multi-tasking?

NOPE.

It also partially depends on how much RAM you have. Windows will buffer programs in RAM so they start faster the second time.

Also, it depends if you HIBERNATE or turn OFF. When you HIBERNATE, it just copies everything from RAM to the SSD and then back again when you start. So programs that you started already and are in the faster RAM are still there once you restart after Hibernation.
Related resources
July 30, 2012 2:34:00 AM

Dereck47 said:
If you have the 1st generation Vertex, then yes, there will be a definite real world difference going to the Vertex 4.

If you have the Vertex 2 or Vertex 3 the main difference will be in Windows startup and shutdown.
You probably won't notice any other real world difference unless you're dealing with incompressible files on a regular basis.

Thanks Dereck47,
Yes I have the OCZSSD2-1VTX120G which I guess is first generation.
I find it pretty fast as is but faster is always better right?

Just saw your post photoboy,
Are you saying that I will see a noticable speed increase if I upgrade my current ssd to one of the lastest. I have a mb that supports sata3.
a c 504 G Storage
July 30, 2012 2:54:47 AM

Yes, that model is 1st gen. The advertised 560/430 Read/Write speeds are good but those are for large sequential files which people don't deal with the majority of the time they are using their system.

What makes the Vertex 4 shine is its low access times (latency). Most SSDs have access times of .10ms. The Vertex 4 has access times from .04ms to .02ms.
So you will definitely notice a difference with Windows startup, shutdown, and running programs in general.
July 30, 2012 4:18:55 AM

Dereck47 said:
Yes, that model is 1st gen. The advertised 560/430 Read/Write speeds are good but those are for large sequential files which people don't deal with the majority of the time they are using their system.

What makes the Vertex 4 shine is its low access times (latency). Most SSDs have access times of .10ms. The Vertex 4 has access times from .04ms to .02ms.
So you will definitely notice a difference with Windows startup, shutdown, and running programs in general.

Thanks for your help but I will porbably go for the samsung 830 128gb as its at the best price for me right now.
a c 504 G Storage
July 30, 2012 4:36:29 AM

That's a great drive too. I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.
a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 9:24:39 PM

stone2 said:
Thanks Dereck47,
Yes I have the OCZSSD2-1VTX120G which I guess is first generation.
I find it pretty fast as is but faster is always better right?

Just saw your post photoboy,
Are you saying that I will see a noticable speed increase if I upgrade my current ssd to one of the lastest. I have a mb that supports sata3.

I'm just not seeing much perceptable difference between any SATA drives in real-world usage.

I was testing an OCZ Agility 3 drive today that is stuck in SATA1 mode. I CLONED my current Windows 7 x64 setup from a 3xRAID0 which scores 4x the speed in benchmarks.

I honestly don't notice much difference at all.
!