Sign in with
Your question

NAS or homebuilt Server/Mediacenter

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2012 4:44:55 AM

Hey!

I actually made a thread about something similar a few days back but I would just like to know what people think is the better alternative for a Mediacenter/Server.

Either a Synology DS412+ (I know its probably a bit overkill for home use..)
OR a homebuilt server

thinking about this config: (also overkill, but again I want to be sure its ok for a mediacenter)
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Core i5 3570k
4gb 1600mhz ram (dont know which ones, just some cheap ones i think..)
SeaSonic x-460 watt passive PSU
and a corsair H100 watercooling system for the CPU (again, probably overkill but I want this making next to no noise! :) 

another questions is if the onboard soundcard is ok if I have a pretty good surroundsystem with a good Yamaha reciever?
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 11:09:15 AM

These two items don't really compare, one is just a storage device the other is a full fledged computer.

If you buy the Synology device you will still need something to connect to it to stream media from it. The computer could handle the storage and playback.

The sound card on that board is fine, as long as your receiver has an optical in.
July 30, 2012 2:28:05 PM

Im not a expert (obvously thats why I ask others) but the NAS is basicly a computer, I know it doesnt run windows, but it has the same components right?

anyways, I have my gaming computer to control the NAS, I just dont know if its mediacenter abilities is sufficient, because it only has the DLNA function, which im not at all familiar with..

it has optical in yes

thanks for the reply!
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 2:49:19 PM

Well the nas is fine as long as it is a nas as in networked and at lease gig. I have a full fledged server for transcoding on the fly. There is a free program out there called TVersity that can stream content to your xbox ps3 wii ect. If you have a quad core server it can transcode the files on the fly kind of nice. Also you can use the server to run d/l's and expand the storage as needed just keep adding drives. Another use is run dedicated game servers... I really like having the server but it does need to stay on 24/7 if you want easy access so I would reccomend using the lowest spec or lowest power components you can get quietest also.

Thent
July 30, 2012 5:14:45 PM

thanks for the answers! I went with a homebuilt server..
Related resources
!