Solved

Backing Up

Hi,
I am in the process of upgrading my computers hardware. One of the things I will be upgrading is the ram (from 2GB to 8GB). While researching I found that a 64bit version of Windows will be needed if I want all 8GB of RAM to be used. I know I will have to uninstall Windows and install it again but I want to keep all my files and programs. Is there anyway of keeping the files? Will making a backup work or will I have to move the files onto an external hardrive manually?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about backing
  1. Best answer
    You could use the windows migration tool.
    Also having a copy/backup of files that you need would not be a bad idea. Just make sure that windows BitLocker encryption is off otherwise those files may not be usable on another system
  2. So if I were to create a backup directly from Windows all I would have to do is to restore that backup after updating the OS and it would put all my files back where they were?
  3. Yup.
  4. Best answer selected by SaintMark.
  5. I have one last inquiry. My computer has 2 hard drives. The "D" drive and the "C" drive. The "D" drive has all the files (Personal files and Windows) on it, while the "C" drive is completely free. If I were to backup the "D" drive onto the "C" drive will it still be there after I reinstall Windows? And could I use that backup to restore my files?
  6. Yes, as long as you install the new windows on the D drive and not on the C drive.
    Yes, you could use that backup to restore your files.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Storage