Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build will not turn on (worked fine for 2 days)

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2010 3:27:05 PM

Hi All,

I just put together a new build and it was working 100% fine for 2 days and this morning it will not turn on at all. The case lights/fans do not turn on at all and no lights on the MB either. Not even the fan on the PSU turns on.

When I use the case power button I hear a click (I assume a relay) within the PSU but otherwise nothing happens. Based on the clicking I assume that the PSU is receiving the correct on/off signals through the MB although I did make sure the power switch wires to the MB were seated. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter so I can't verify whether or not any power is coming out of the PSU. I unplugged all external connections (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc) as well as all internals (GPU, HDDs) to confirm there is no component-level short and still nothing happens when I push power. I also removed and reconnected the MB power connections to verify neither was loose. I also turned off the main AC switch on the PSU for a minute and turned it back on too... no dice.

Is it safe to say that the problem here is the PSU? Are there MB issues which could cause the same symptoms? I did turn on the "quickboot" feature last night via Gigabyte's software but I would think even if I somehow fried the BIOS at least the PSU fan would still turn on. As far as I can tell I have troubleshot this as far as I can go with what I have. I bought all my components from Newegg so I'm going to have to RMA so I'd like to hit the correct component the first time.

FWIW, here is my build:

CPU: Intel i7-860
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
GPU: Palit NE3TS25EFHD02 GeForce GTS 250 E-Green 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
HDD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Case: Antec - 300 Illusion
PSU: Antec - Earthwatts 650 (EA650)
Drive: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM

Thanks!
August 9, 2010 6:32:34 PM

2153649,1,692469 said:
Hi All,

I just put together a new build and it was working 100% fine for 2 days and this morning it will not turn on at all. The case lights/fans do not turn on at all and no lights on the MB either. Not even the fan on the PSU turns on.

i think its the power supply,did u smell any smoke from the power supply? was the power supply very hot before it turned off?,if power supplies run for few days and turn off it means the powersupply overheats or it dosent have enought amprange on the +12volt rails,i recommend Corsair or Coolermaster Power supplies.
August 9, 2010 6:35:57 PM

Get a PSU from a friend and put it into your case. If everything works, you know who is guilty and sue him (it).
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 6:36:17 PM

Its probably the psu. However, I wouldn't get a coolermaster psu, they are in the mid-range of quality. Silverstone, corsair, or Kingwin are my suggestions, although there are some more good brands, I can't think of them right now
August 9, 2010 6:52:48 PM

Thanks for your input guys! :) 

fan said:
i think its the power supply,did u smell any smoke from the power supply? was the power supply very hot before it turned off?,if power supplies run for few days and turn off it means the powersupply overheats or it dosent have enought amprange on the +12volt rails,i recommend Corsair or Coolermaster Power supplies.

No smoke, smell or anything the night before. As far as I could tell last night everything was 100%. i7-860 CPU was running at ~45C (stock Intel fan ... waiting for the Hyper 212+ to come back in-stock) and GPU was running at 35C normally (hit 69C once during Mass Effect 2, usually around 60C w/ ME2). No idea how the PSU at the end of the night was but I had touched the back of the PSU during the day and it seemed only lightly warm to the touch. All fans including PSU fan were working fine while case was still open (the previous day).

lenoxlv said:
Get a PSU from a friend and put it into your case. If everything works, you know who is guilty.

I have an old 700W PSU but it is like 7 years old (last build). Would it be safe to try it in the new computer?

All I need to test the PSU is plug it to the MB (24pin MB and 8pin EPS) and hit case power button, right? Don't need to plug-in the GPU or anything?

Computerrock1 said:
Its probably the psu. However, I wouldn't get a coolermaster psu, they are in the mid-range of quality. Silverstone, corsair, or Kingwin are my suggestions, although there are some more good brands, I can't think of them right now

Yeah, I am going to RMA the Antec and replace it with this 650W Corsair. The Antec was a few dollars cheaper but I figure I may as well switch to a more reliable brand at this point...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 9, 2010 6:54:04 PM

Computerrock1 said:

i have coolermaster M620 which is a high quality power supply that i am going to use for Parts my few new parts,Intel i7 930,GTX260 OR Ati Radeon HD5770,3X2GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz.

can you tell me the amprange on the +12V rails on your old 700w psu and the manufucater?
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 6:55:22 PM

Ok, I have seen people have poor experiences with coolermaster psu's. So I don't suggest them, but if it works for you, great.
August 9, 2010 7:04:00 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Ok, I have seen people have poor experiences with coolermaster psu's. So I don't suggest them, but if it works for you, great.

well it depends on the wattage and also if its 80plus and the amprange on the 12 volt rails :p 
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 7:05:27 PM

No it just depends on the companies build quality from model to model.
August 9, 2010 7:07:05 PM

Computerrock1 said:
No it just depends on the companies build quality from model to model.

if it dosent matter match a coolermaster 450 psu on coolermaster 600w psu
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 7:07:59 PM

Why are we arguing this?
August 9, 2010 7:08:32 PM

ignore the last comment

i meant there are high quality power supplies and low quality power supplies (coolermaster ones)
August 9, 2010 7:09:12 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Why are we arguing this?

:D  im just telling not arguing
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 7:09:16 PM

Alright, I'll agree to that...
August 9, 2010 7:12:00 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Alright, I'll agree to that...

may i ask 1 quetion about the amprange,the m620 has three 19 Amps on the +12 Volt amps,and why when like for example a GTX260 Requires 36 amps on the 12 volt rails and mine has 57 since its three 19 amps,but people say it only has 38,so the third 19 amp dosent count or its for other part?
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 7:17:25 PM

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly, different brands divide their amperage differently.
August 10, 2010 3:12:34 PM

I was able to confirm that the problem was the PSU last night. I still had my old computer mostly intact so I simply swapped the old PSU with the new broken one and it had the exact same symptom - heard a relay click in the PSU but nothing else happened. Getting the broken Antec RMA'd and already have a new Corsair arriving today. =)

In the meantime, I just threw my old HDD back in the old computer and used that for the night so I had internet.
a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 4:07:08 PM

^Glad to hear that you found the issue
August 20, 2010 2:52:13 AM

Best answer selected by socaltiger.
January 5, 2014 7:54:51 PM

I managed to boot my computer without the graphics card but then once i booted i shut back down and reinstalled my gpu it then worked fine for an hour but i was crashing when trying to load saints row the third ? when the board was turning on it cycled through all these codes then stopped and turned on after. i then took the gpu out and it worked for another 20 minutes and then was not able to turn on.
!