tiger_hall

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Am trying to connect all the cables to the motherboard and failing hard. Don't know what's going where at the moment. Any detailed help would be great. I can't find the cables that are called the same as on the motherboard instructions?!
I need to connect:
-2 case fans
-dvd drive
-sata hard drive
- psu (PSU is a Be Quiet Pure Power 530W)

Motherboard is a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3, motherboard layout in image.
GigabyteMA770T-UD3.jpg

Connections to motherboard.
Gigabyte.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help.
tiger_hall

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I'l help. Your PSU needs to get plugged into #1 and #2.

I'd hook your case fans to #4 and #5, PWR and SYS.

If you only have one hard drive, it goes to SATA0.

DVD Drive, if it's IDE, goes to #7.

Your PSU will have power connections for each drive, except they'll look different. The SATA power connection is a skinny little thing ~ 1" wide, and the IDE is ~2.5" long, and looks a bit like the data connection. Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

tiger_hall

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
-for number 1. what is the cable called? I have 2 cables that are 2x2 that are CPU1 and CPU2 which i presume are correct now as it fits.
-the DVD drive has the same connector as the hard drive? no IDE slot

tiger_hall

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
1. i dont have 2 P4's. i only have a P4 and a P8 i dont have any other connectors that have the correct connections.
2. sata dvd rw and it is in sata1
3. case fans are molex they are not supported on the motherboard. what are my options?

i did try and power it on and had no power. does this mean that the power supply to the CPU is not correct?

1.Ok then P8 it is then ^^
2. Good to go
3. You connect the molex connector from the PSU directly to the case fan Motherboard is irrelevant here
4. Have u connected the front connectors of case to fron panel connectors on mobo i.e F_Panel in your pic?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some corrections:
2 case fans - better to connect to the TWO SYS_FANx connectors (key #4) - one at lower right, one at top left. The PWR_FAN mobo connector is INTENDED for a special connector that you may not have. Some PSU's have a set of leads coming out on 3 wires that look like a typical 3-wire fan connection, and have such a connector on the end. It is intended to provide to the mobo (for monitoring purposes, NOT for control) the speed signal from the PSU's internal fan. Some posters in these forums have said that the mobo PWR_FAN pinout (on at least some mobos) actually does have the voltages necessary to power a normal 3-pin case fan, although not with any control - just run full speed. But if you only have 2 case fans, use the mobo connectors intended for them. Read your manual for its capability to control fan speed on these.

On a SATA device there are two connectors on the back edge. The smaller one with 7 pins is for the data cable which looks like a flat ribbon and connects to a mobo pinout, preferably SATA_0 as jack_attack said. The wider one with 15 pins is for the power input from the PSU, and it usually has 5 wires coming into it. See this:

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Serial_ATA_%28SATA,_Serial_Advanced_Technology_Attachment%29

IF you have an IDE optical drive, its power connector is 4 round pins recessed in plastic and you plug into it a 4-pin Molex (female) coming from the psu, just like the photo called "Molex" that batuchka posted above. The data connector on a IDE device is 40 pins (2 x 20, but with one missing) and its cable is a wide flat ribbon that usually has 3 connectors on it: the BLUE one on one end goes to the mobo IDE port, the BLACK one on the other end goes to the Master device, and the middle GREY one goes to a Slave device if there is one.

However, your description says the optical drive is also SATA, so just connect it the same way as the HDD, except of course that its data cable will go to SATA_1 on the mobo.

When you get to the stage of connecting front panel cables / wires to your mobo, note these points:
1. If you have a front panel socket for USB and / or IEEE1394a (aka Firewire 400), the connectors and cables from them to the mobo look exactly the same - connector is 2 x 5 pins (holes) with one blocked off. However, DO NOT MIX them up! Connecting an IEEE1394a device to a USB port or vice versa can damage the mobo or device! So be sure that a connector for IEEE1394a is plugged ONLY into the socket marked F_1394 at lower left (key #17), and any USB connectors are plugged only into the pair of pinouts marked F_USBx at lower center (key #16).

2. Check your manual for details of the pins in the F_PANEL connector at lower right, (key #11) Two pins are for the LED indicating power is turned on, and two for the LED indicating HDD activity. Each of these has a + and - polarity designation, and the cable from your case front panel should be so labeled also. BUT if you get one of these reversed, don't panic. The worst case is simply that the LED won't ever light up. Then you just reverse the leads here at the pinout. Two pins are for the On / Off (Power) pushbutton, and two for the Reset pushbutton. These do NOT have any special polarity - just connect. A slightly wider connector on the end of a cable (4 pins wide, but only 2 wires) may be there to connect to the "speaker" pins if there is one, and the pins are part of this mobo pinout. This is for the tiny and tinny-sounding PZO "speaker" user for a few beeps (if your case has one), NOT for your real audio external speaker system. (Some mobo's have this item on the mobo, and the case does not have one.)

3. If you have front panel audio connectors / cable AND you are using the on-board audio system, plug into the F_AUDIO mobo pinout at middle left (key #12). Check your manual for options on which audio standard signal system is in use - it is usually a setting you can change in BIOS if necessary.

4. IF you have a floppy drive (now uncommon), its data cable plugs into FDD (key #6), and its power supply is a Molex 4-pin or, much more likely, a smaller 4-pin coming off the same power wires as the Molex's.

5. Your case probably has a bracket bearing a parallel printer connector with a short internal cable. It is to be mounted in one of the case's rear slot cover positions where you are not using it for a PCI card. The cable plugs into the LPT pinout (key #18).

Match these cables off the front of your casing to F_Panel on mobo
Unt5-1.jpg

Untitled-133.jpg

Is the mobo + cpu + ram+ gpu all outside or inside casing? If inside: have you slotted in the I/O plate and mount mobo on stand offs? This is very important as a common way 1st time builders kill mobo is allowing base of mobo to touch casing resulting in an instant shot...

By the way what GPU u on?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, you can see the pwr and res pairs (although they indicate + and - that is not critical), the HD pair and the speaker set. I'm not sure what "msg" is for - check your manual - but MAYBE it is for the HDD activity LED that I don't see in this drawing.

tiger_hall

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

all inside the case. have put everything on the system. the mobo is mounted on stand offs. gpu is a sapphire hd5770 1gb.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
batuchka raised a VERY good point about mounting the mobo in the case. To accommodate different mobo layouts, cases have many threaded holes in which you must place the mobo standoffs. sometimes they are threaded brass metal pieces about ¼" long, sometimes they are plastic things. The critical thing is to look closely at your mobo and make sure you place the standoffs in the SAME positions as the mobo mounting holes. Do NOT place an extras where they are not needed - they could provide places for mobo traces to short out.

Most mobos come with a custom plate that fits into the cutout at the back of the case and then matches the layout of all the externally-accessible connectors that are part of the mobo at the upper left of the diagram. Watch for one thing here as you mount the mobo in the case. These plates often have little springy fingers near the cutouts. I once found after mounting that one finger was sticking into a connector socket and could short out a contact, so I had to re-mount to get it done right.

Many people in assembling a new system will "bread-board" it first - that is, assemble key components (PSU, RAM, CPU and heatsink / fan, HDD, keyboard and mouse) on a table with an insulating flat support surface under the mobo and power it up that way to be sure all those things are working correctly. THEN they disassemble and mount the mobo in the case.

BEFORE you mount mobo in case, it is usually much easier to mount the CPU and its cooling heatsink / fan on the mobo outside the case. This is especially true if you are replacing the cooling system with a third-party design that requires a different base plate under the mobo. So do that, INCLUDING putting the right thermal contact paste between the CPU and heatsink, before placing the mobo in the case (AND before breadboard testing - you NEED that thermal paste before the CPU is powered up even for seconds).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador

You're dead right, of course! I did it wrong as I typed! The HDD LED activity light is clearly identified separately.