Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted -..

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 14, 2004 7:00:43 AM

Need Advice

Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.

Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.

Sadie

December 14, 2004 8:15:56 AM

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Need Advice
>
> Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).
>
> Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
>
> Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.
>
> Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
>
> Sadie

First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.

As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
December 14, 2004 5:19:54 PM

In article <9%Dvd.1020$0w3.932@fe07.lga>, rphunter@charter.net says...

> Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
> you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall
> program.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

What I do is remove the Kodak software (and by doin that, the backweb) from
the start sequence of my 'puter.

I dont have any complaints about what the software does WHILE IM USING IT,
but I see no need for it to do ANYTHING during the 99.9999999% of the time my
computer is on and Im not doing anything re Kodak.

I agree with you Ron, "victimized" is way to strong.. I think PITA covers it.
Anything that causes ANY uninvited window to pop up is a PITA in my book.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

> Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> > Need Advice
> >
> > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter.
Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES.
It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD
Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise
feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day
visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and
save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and
I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

> > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut
feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all
advise appreciated, photog gurus.

> > Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography
questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a
serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons,
but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking
forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and
lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with
what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't
want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40
pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come
later.

> > Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful
assistance and friendly advice.

> > Sadie
> >

> First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
> of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
> study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
> Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
> don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
> I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
> it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
> they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
> much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.
>
> As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
> STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
> OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
> user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
> WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
> but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.

Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means
that this malware must be included.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:19:50 PM

Jeremy wrote:
> [...]
>>OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
>>user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
>>WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
>>but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>

> Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
> reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
> fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
> numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
> I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
> Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.
>
> Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means

Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:24:45 PM

Greetings Jeremy,

The Kodak Updater is an added advantage for you and not Malware. It is not
much different in terms of backweb than the virus protection that is
delivered to your Symantec program or updates from Microsoft. It simply
works in the background to download any new updates offered by Kodak. It is
used by millions of quite happy EasyShare owners. You have nothing to fear
from the Kodak Updater feature. I will stand behind it 110%

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> > Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> > > Need Advice
> > >
> > > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my
daughter.
> Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2
ES.
> It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD
> Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and
despise
> feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my
four-day
> visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers
and
> save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer
and
> I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have
experienced).

> > > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My
gut
> feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all
> advise appreciated, photog gurus.

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:42:15 PM

Ron Baird wrote:
> Greetings Jeremy,
>
> The Kodak Updater is an added advantage for you and not Malware. It
> is not much different in terms of backweb than the virus protection
> that is delivered to your Symantec program or updates from Microsoft.
> It simply works in the background to download any new updates offered
> by Kodak. It is used by millions of quite happy EasyShare owners. You
> have nothing to fear from the Kodak Updater feature. I will stand
> behind it 110%

I understand "110%" is hyperbole, but usinig it puts a few scratches on
your credibility.

--
Frank ess
December 15, 2004 12:27:37 AM

> Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
> then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
> the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.

The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
suspect.

The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because instructions
for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.

The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!

Some of us don't like it when outsiders meddle in out computers. There is a
bill pending in Congress that would require FULL disclosure before anything
like that can be downloaded, and would also require that removal
instructions be made readily available. Violators would be fined.

Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
systems.

Now they couldn't pay me enough to install any of their software. I really
dislike being taken advantage of, and I vote with my pocketbook. When
enough other consumers think the same, it has an impact.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:30:31 PM

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Those extra few seconds could make a big difference! I often end up with un-centered, blurry photos.

I did get a card reader and a memory card. Amazing how small the memory card is, and the reader is ... well, cute! I am looking forward to my trip and seeing what results I get.

Sandy

December 17, 2004 5:28:08 PM

Greetings Jeremy,

I understand why you might be upset, Jeremy, and I am glad to offer some
information that might help you understand.

Kodak offers you the choice of whether or not you want to install the Kodak
Updater during the installation.
It is not hard to uninstall and the instructions that follow provide the
process.
As I understand it, Back Web is a tool that is used by many companies such
as Microsoft, Symantec, and others to deliver updates similar to how Kodak
is doing it.
Kodak is not meddling in your computer in anyway. If you do not want to use
the Update service, delete it or turn it off. No information about you or
your system is collected.

Truth is, Jeremy, the Kodak Updater was included and offered to you as an
added feature, not for any other reaon. It simply offers an easy way to
update your the program, as Kodak is always working on new and enhanced
features of its free software.

We welcome you to the Kodak family, Jeremy, and would not want you to have
any other feeling other than enjoying your camera, or the features of the
software. We have no interest in anything else you might have on your
computer, and would never intrude on your privacy. I can't imagine any
billion dollar company that would entertain such an idea.

Please enjoy the program and have no fear about using the Kodak Updater
feature, it is quite safe an unintrusive.

Following is the removal instructions.

To uninstall the Kodak Software Updater, follow the instructions below.

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Open Add/Remove Programs.
3. Select "Kodak EasyShare software" and choose Add/Remove (for Microsoft
Windows 98, ME operating systems), or Change/Remove (for Microsoft Windows
2000, XP operating systems). The KODAK EASYSHARE Software Setup Wizard will
begin installation.
4. Click Next and continue until a window is displayed with choices for
Modify, Repair, or Remove.
5. Select Modify and click Next.
6. When the window showing the different components to modify is displayed,
click the drop-down next to the Kodak Software Updater and choose Remove.
7. Click Next and follow the rest of the installation.
8. Restart the computer when finished.

To turn off the Kodak Software Updater, follow the instructions below.

1. Navigate to the Kodak Software Updater setup window

Start/Programs/Kodak/KodakSoftwareUpdater/KodakSoftwareUpdatersetup

2. Select the No radio button to disable the Kodak Updater Service.

Talk to you soon, and happy holidays.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D VIvd.3903$2J2.2726@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
> > then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
> > the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.
> >

> The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
> suspect.
>
> The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because
instructions
> for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.
>
> The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
> application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!
>
> Some of us don't like it when outsiders meddle in out computers. There is
> bill pending in Congress that would require FULL disclosure before
anything
> like that can be downloaded, and would also require that removal
> instructions be made readily available. Violators would be fined.
>
> Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
> failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
> that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
> systems.
>
> Now they couldn't pay me enough to install any of their software. I
really
> dislike being taken advantage of, and I vote with my pocketbook. When
> enough other consumers think the same, it has an impact.

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:40:13 PM

Good luck Sadie,

Enjoy your trip and holiday season. Great time for pictures. Let me know
if you think I can help you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ron,
>
> Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Those extra few seconds could
make a big difference! I often end up with un-centered, blurry photos.

> I did get a card reader and a memory card. Amazing how small the memory
card is, and the reader is ... well, cute! I am looking forward to my trip
and seeing what results I get.

> Sandy

December 20, 2004 10:49:45 AM

> The popups that you experience are courtesy of BackWeb, which is loaded
> onto
> your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states
> that
> their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period
> of
> inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
> your computer.
>
> I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any
> attempt
> to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
> intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.
>
> Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
> the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
> finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
> find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
>
> It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized
> like
> this--all so Kodak can make a buck.

how many times do I have to say this: Backweb is a tool, nothing more. The
vendor who uses it, Kodak, uses it in a very benign and polite way. The
ONLY time that you will see a popup if you are an EasyShare user is when an
upgrade is available for you. We even restrict that notice to display ONLY
when you are shutting down EasyShare software.

Backweb is used for nothing else other than delivering updates to software.
Older versions of software don't get the updates automatically delivered but
refer to the web download. Newer versions get the upgrades delivered as
incremental updates and they are on your system ready to be installed when
the notice comes.

Oh, if youw ant to turn it off: go to EasyShare preferences and remove the
check in the "notify me when updates are available" Not complicated, pretty
straightforward, no cloak-and-dagger.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:55:09 AM

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D VIvd.3903$2J2.2726@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
> suspect.

The end user license agreement is very clear in this area that an updater is
being installed.

> The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because
> instructions
> for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.

Clicking on preferences, unchecking the "notify me when updates are
available" seems pretty straightforward to me. Kodak has these instructions
on our web site as well.

> The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
> application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!

But Kodak doesn't use the advertising popup part. All we use is the
capability to deliver software updates.

> Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
> failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
> that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
> systems.

Again, Backweb is a hammer. I can hit nails with it and make things, or I
can hit people with it and do harm.
!