• unneccessary. a 950w is big enough for most anything

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
if i had thousands of dollars burning a hole in my pocket and i just had to get a new gaming computer with an i7-980x and tri-sli gtx 480s, then i would probably look at getting the ax1200

and i wouldn't get the i7-980x, i would just get the i7-930 and OC the crap out of it

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

if i had any overclocking skills, so would I. :(

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
The only reason to buy the ax1200 is the same reason that same guy would buy the 3x nv 480's in the first place... he doesn't care if his rig fails @ price/performance.. he will buy the 1200w corsair because he wants the best :)

As soon as I got the HX-850, I wished I had purchased the HX-1000 instead. The HX-1000 has two sets of 8-pin power cables whereas the HX-850 has just one set. I had to rig up and extension cable in order to supply power to the 2nd. 8-pin socket on the motherboard (EVGA 3-way Classified) - I am aware that the board will run with just one 8-pin power cable except under extreme OC conditions.

Well i had to vote for 'other' as the other options were not upto the mark.. The reasons being -
1. No gaming (only) pc needs an i7 980X and/or with 3 480's..
2. No server rig would need that much of power.. Moreover there are other so called server grade PSU's available..
3. What do you mean by a normal computer..?? Since when computers became abnormal..!!! If you are refering to the user then a person hoping to build a rig as mentioned in the first option would seriouslly be abnormal.. If you are referring to a HTPC build (or similar) then the option surely deserves a LOL..
4. This is the most sensible option IMO although if i were to build an overclocked i7 930 build with a couple of GTX 480's, i'd like to have a little headroom left (in terms of power) to pull out the maximum efficiency out of my PSU.. For such an instance, i might opt for the AX1200

notty22

Distinguished
Imo, its not priced that extravagant. Many overspend on the case, this is like a extension of that.
Incredible Efficiency.
With 90% efficiency at 50% load, the AX1200 runs quieter, generates minimal excess heat, and saves you money every month. It's earned the 80 Plus Gold seal of approval, your guarantee that you're making the right choice for smart, efficient power delivery. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=189
Certain individuals would buy this for that alone.

idk, the stable rails and really low ripple are another reason to get it

though there is no sense of getting the AX1200 when you don't need that much power, though they are making 750 and 850 models as well (i might pick up a 750w model)

leon2006

Distinguished
From time to time some computer store put such great supplies on sale half the price. Frys and some local computer stores do that from time to time when introducing new products.

When such offer happen i grab one and keep it for my future setup. I do this not only on PSU but on other hardware.

Over 2 years ago when Antec came out with Quatro 850W @ $250 each, Fry's put it on sale for $125.00. That how i got my 1st Quatro 850W ( I have 4 on 4 PCS). I have one 1000W Corsair.

PSUs are wise investment so you can't go wrong with proven branded units. Even when it fails it does not damage the more important loads.

I'm to build another quad core this fall. I'm looking at Corsair PSU.

Surf the net for great prices on great product.

Corsair supplies are proven to draw what is required. One of the PSU with great effeciency at varying load conditions.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

6 cores beats 4 cores. If you have thousands of dollars burning a hole in your pocket as noted, Why get a 930? :sol: