Newly Built PC does not show any sign of life when plugged.

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hey guys,

This is my first post, I came here a couple times to get some info but never actually posted anything, so here i am today. I am facing a real problem:

So i decided to build a computer myself, for the first time, it was all good, i connected everything, applied thermal paste to CPU etc, connected GPU, until i came upon these little babies right here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50572895@N05/4681975944 , they are causing me trouble, i do not know how to plug them in right, the switch that is supposed to turn on the computer is the green and black wire, although when i plug it into the PWR plug it does not turn on, the name on the jumper is M/B SW which is rather unusual.

P.S: another thing, maybe my PSU is not powerful enough, it is 300W only, and i have a core 2 duo and a 9800GT so yea. If it IS the PSU's fault then i connected the jumpers correctly so all is good. Also i wanted to know if i could have fried the whole of the computer by messing with the front panel jumpers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :pt1cable:

Or maybe i plugged something wrong... although it is very unlikely :??:

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I am in china so i asked one of my employees to get me the mobo he got a me a Great Wall 300W one, Great Wall isnt too bad i suppose. I really do not know what could be causing it, although i do not think it is my mobo because i was messing with the front panels and got a light to light up. so yea. I think its the mobo, i am almost sure i am connecting something wrong.

I will try and post a photo of my case's insides. so you can check if i plugged anything wrong.

thanks!

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

here is the picture of my build:

i am fearing that my 9800GT is preventing my PC from booting up. 300W is not enough i think.

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
yes i found my problem. My PSU was not powerful enough and did not provide a 6 pin for my 9800GT, so even if i managed to start it up, i wouldnt be able to run my 9800GT.

Cheers,

Maybe you could give me some good PSUs above 450 W that are relatively small.

Thanks.