Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Raid on "Slave" Drives

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2012 5:18:22 PM

I am building a new rig (for the first time) that will have 3 storage drives. It will have a single SSD (240GB) for boot and applications that I use a lot. It will then have an additional 2 "slave" data drives. I was wondering if there was a way to RAID the 2 storage drives. Most Raid solutions I can understand are set up off the boot drive, which for me will be the SSD.

Thanks in advance!

More about : raid slave drives

Best solution

a c 529 G Storage
July 30, 2012 5:44:03 PM

The procedure for creating a RAID array is the same. It’s what you do after creating the array that determines whether or not it’s a boot drive.

If you install an O/S on the array then it is a boot drive (C: ).
If you don’t install an O/S on it then it is just a secondary drive ( D:, E:, F:, etc.)
July 30, 2012 5:48:06 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. So basically, I install the SSD as per normal, and then I install the OS on that drive.
After that, I install the RAID card and the 2 slave drives on that RAID card? Then use some sort of software to create the raid on the two drives? Sorry if this is such a basic question; I am just new at this and I didn't see anything that jumped out at me on the FAQ.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 5:53:31 PM

FYI, the term "slave" no longer applies since the advent od SATA drives.
m
l
a c 529 G Storage
July 30, 2012 5:59:29 PM

Adaram said:
Thanks so much for the reply. So basically, I install the SSD as per normal, and then I install the OS on that drive.

Correct.

After that, I install the RAID card and the 2 slave drives on that RAID card? Then use some sort of software to create the raid on the two drives? said:
After that, I install the RAID card and the 2 slave drives on that RAID card? Then use some sort of software to create the raid on the two drives?

I don't know the model of your motherboard but most newer boards allow you to create a RAID array without needing a RAID controller card. If you already have the card then yes, connect the drives to the card, boot into the card's BIOS, and create your array.

m
l
a c 529 G Storage
July 30, 2012 6:08:44 PM

Yes, you can create a RAID array with that motherboard without needing a RAID controller card.
m
l
July 30, 2012 6:09:35 PM

Thanks so much. I'll ping back if I can't figure out how to do it from the documentation.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:34:29 AM

Best answer selected by Adaram.
m
l
!