Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Spray Painting HAF 932- is it safe?

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2010 5:14:31 PM

What's up, folks?

So I'm still purchasing all the parts for my awesome i7 build, but before I throw anything in there, I want to paint the interior of the Cooler Master HAF 932 all black. (Like a million other people out there)

I see almost everywhere that disassembling the case, sanding it, painting it and reassembling it seem to be the essential steps to take when doing this procedure, but I am not willing to do all that, as I hate taking apart anything when I don't have to.

However, I stumbled upon this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmv3urr7lk4) and this guy just threw some painter's tape in certain areas and spray painted the case as-is. I have seen more and more that some folks simply paint it without taking it apart, and this is what I've decided to do.

Anyways, my question for you folks is- is it safe to have all that spray paint in a box that heats up and cools off all day long, with air coming in and out (especially in my not-so-well-ventilated-room)?

I once spray painted a keyboard (I was a big "Hackers" fan :)  ) but was warned that I could get some sort of poisoning from typing on that thing all day long, so somehow I feel that having this enormous case full of these chemicals would be dangerous in the long run.

Am I being paranoid or is there some truth to this?

Thanks, folks!
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 5:17:28 PM

I wouldn't suggest it, but the chances of it causing an issue is slim. I would use spray paint, but only because its thinner which allows it to breath more.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 5:37:25 PM

SimonDIvanoff said:
What's up, folks?

this guy just threw some painter's tape in certain areas and spray painted the case as-is. I have seen more and more that some folks simply paint it without taking it apart, and this is what I've decided to do.

!

thats what i would do
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2010 5:49:50 PM

you shouldn't run into any issues with heat

just be careful about scratching that new paint job as it can happen easily
m
l

Best solution

a c 91 ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 1:15:57 PM

The solvents in spray paint are in the carrier. The paint itself has no problems associated with it once it is fully dry. Allow for 24 hours for full drying inside a garage or even the trunk of a car after sundown.

Pick a calm (no wind) day. Take the case outside - on a driveway or even a side street or alley. Mask all components as best you can. Use automotive grade touch-up spray paint (comes in several shades of black).

Lay the open case horizontally and hold the spray can about 2 feet above it. Spray in a continuously moving pattern. After 24 hours of drying (no blowers needed) you can connect everything and turn on the power.

There are no known health hazards after painting as long as you don't keep on sniffing the paint!
August 10, 2010 6:29:21 PM

Best answer selected by SimonDIvanoff.
m
l
!