Re-using XP boot drive as a slave in a Win 7 SSD install

HermannUK

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
Previously running XP 64 bit on a hard drive with a second slave hard drive for data.

Switching over to an SSD with win 7, so disconnected old drives, connected ssd and installed win 7 from DVD without issue, system boots fine.

Then disconnected SSD and reconnected Hard Drives, booted from an XP Boot CD and did a quick format of both drives.

Reconnected the SSD but the system doesn't boot now. it hangs stating "Reboot using correct boot device or insert boot device"

So I disconnected the hard drive that was the old C: XP boot drive, leaving the old salve drive connected. System now boots.

The old Slave drive doesnt show though, so used disk manger and it shows as a 'foreign' drive. Right click and import and it shows up however next restart and the system hangs with "Reboot using correct boot device or insert boot device".

So now I can boot using the SSD only.

I am assuming there is something on the old hard drives that is identifying them as boot drives instead of the SSD.

Does anyone one have any idea as to what I can do with the two old drives to be able to use them?

I don't need to save any data, already quick formatted them, I just need them as blank discs that W7 will boot with and recognise.

It will have to be a boot cd as I can't boot into W7 with them connected.

Looked at hirens boot cd but not sure what to use and what needs to be done to the disks!

Go into your motherboard's BIOS and change your 1st boot device to your SSD.
If you have options for 2nd & 3rd devices set them to "Disabled".

HermannUK

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks, changed in the Bios and now it boots with both old drives connected!

Simpler solution than I thought!

One of the old discs was partitioned in two partitions, and this now shows up in disk management with one partition as 'Active Primary' and the other as 'Logical drive'
The other old disc shows up as 'Simple Volume'

So now off to try and find a guide to these volume types and see if there are as they should be, if they can be changed and the implications of doing so!

Thanks again.