Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tweak UI & Win XP

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:51:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Greetings! I recently tried out Tweak UI for Win XP, having used it
with Win 95 and 98 in the past with good results. I am a little
befuddled after trying it with Win XP because after changing a few
settings, now whenever I move the mouse over a listing on my Start
Menu, it no longer automatically expands the listing like it used to.
I have to manually "click" on the listing to see the contents. There
is probably a simple solution, but it's driving me nuts that I can't
find it. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks in advance.

dennis Z
"Always do the right thing. It will astonish some and gratify the
rest." - Mark Twain

More about : tweak win

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Simplest is to uninstall TweakUI and see if it restores the expand
option. If yes, reinstall and make a note of all the changes
you make with TweakUI.
"dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:0knr0153j7v8rnl49b9qimcalf8c4t4orq@4ax.com...
> Greetings! I recently tried out Tweak UI for Win XP, having used it
> with Win 95 and 98 in the past with good results. I am a little
> befuddled after trying it with Win XP because after changing a few
> settings, now whenever I move the mouse over a listing on my Start
> Menu, it no longer automatically expands the listing like it used to.
> I have to manually "click" on the listing to see the contents. There
> is probably a simple solution, but it's driving me nuts that I can't
> find it. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks in advance.
>
> dennis Z
> "Always do the right thing. It will astonish some and gratify the
> rest." - Mark Twain
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thanks Rich .... I uninstalled TweakUI, but it did not restore the expand
option. Still looking to see if I can find how to get it back. Getting
desperate!
dz
"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:SEtPd.2181$Tj7.1718@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Simplest is to uninstall TweakUI and see if it restores the expand
> option. If yes, reinstall and make a note of all the changes
> you make with TweakUI.
> "dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:0knr0153j7v8rnl49b9qimcalf8c4t4orq@4ax.com...
> > Greetings! I recently tried out Tweak UI for Win XP, having used it
> > with Win 95 and 98 in the past with good results. I am a little
> > befuddled after trying it with Win XP because after changing a few
> > settings, now whenever I move the mouse over a listing on my Start
> > Menu, it no longer automatically expands the listing like it used to.
> > I have to manually "click" on the listing to see the contents. There
> > is probably a simple solution, but it's driving me nuts that I can't
> > find it. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > dennis Z
> > "Always do the right thing. It will astonish some and gratify the
> > rest." - Mark Twain
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:24:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

You might want to try this:

Right click on your Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and
select Properties.
On the Start Menu page select Customize.
On the Advanced Page of "Customize Start Menu" make sure there's
a check mark in the box next to "Open Submenus when I pause on
them with my mouse".

--
Nepatsfan
"Dennis Z" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:JzgQd.4307$ID1.1968@fe03.lga...
> Thanks Rich .... I uninstalled TweakUI, but it did not restore
> the expand
> option. Still looking to see if I can find how to get it back.
> Getting
> desperate!
> dz
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:SEtPd.2181$Tj7.1718@twister.socal.rr.com...
>> Simplest is to uninstall TweakUI and see if it restores
>> the expand
>> option. If yes, reinstall and make a note of all the changes
>> you make with TweakUI.
>> "dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
>> news:0knr0153j7v8rnl49b9qimcalf8c4t4orq@4ax.com...
>> > Greetings! I recently tried out Tweak UI for Win XP, having
>> > used it
>> > with Win 95 and 98 in the past with good results. I am a
>> > little
>> > befuddled after trying it with Win XP because after changing
>> > a few
>> > settings, now whenever I move the mouse over a listing on my
>> > Start
>> > Menu, it no longer automatically expands the listing like it
>> > used to.
>> > I have to manually "click" on the listing to see the
>> > contents. There
>> > is probably a simple solution, but it's driving me nuts that
>> > I can't
>> > find it. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks in
>> > advance.
>> >
>> > dennis Z
>> > "Always do the right thing. It will astonish some and
>> > gratify the
>> > rest." - Mark Twain
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:09:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Got my hopes up, but after I did what you suggested, it made no
difference. I'm thinking I may have to delve into the registry to try
to find the answer. Or maybe reinstall WinXP??? Thanks for the
suggestion...if you know of anything else, I'm open to any advice.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:24:37 -0500, "Nepatsfan"
<nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote:

>You might want to try this:
>
>Right click on your Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and
>select Properties.
>On the Start Menu page select Customize.
>On the Advanced Page of "Customize Start Menu" make sure there's
>a check mark in the box next to "Open Submenus when I pause on
>them with my mouse".
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:51:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Have you tried using System Restore to go back to a point in time
before you used TweakUI? Keep in mind that any programs or
updates that have been installed since that time will be removed.
You will not lose any data files. For more info on System Restore
go to Start -> Help and Support. Enter "Understanding System
Restore" in the Search box. Click on the arrow and select the
entry in the suggested topics box.

The solution of last resort would be to perform a repair install.
Take a look here for more info:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Make sure you've backed up all you data files before attempting
the repair.

Good luck
--
Nepatsfan
"dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:o g7411lbn20b41bjc3bfgqv1sjorup1dl3@4ax.com...
> Got my hopes up, but after I did what you suggested, it made no
> difference. I'm thinking I may have to delve into the registry
> to try
> to find the answer. Or maybe reinstall WinXP??? Thanks for
> the
> suggestion...if you know of anything else, I'm open to any
> advice.
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:24:37 -0500, "Nepatsfan"
> <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote:
>
>>You might want to try this:
>>
>>Right click on your Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and
>>select Properties.
>>On the Start Menu page select Customize.
>>On the Advanced Page of "Customize Start Menu" make sure
>>there's
>>a check mark in the box next to "Open Submenus when I pause on
>>them with my mouse".
>
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:26:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Look in Folder Options not Tweakui.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uscricket.com
"dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message news:0knr0153j7v8rnl49b9qimcalf8c4t4orq@4ax.com...
> Greetings! I recently tried out Tweak UI for Win XP, having used it
> with Win 95 and 98 in the past with good results. I am a little
> befuddled after trying it with Win XP because after changing a few
> settings, now whenever I move the mouse over a listing on my Start
> Menu, it no longer automatically expands the listing like it used to.
> I have to manually "click" on the listing to see the contents. There
> is probably a simple solution, but it's driving me nuts that I can't
> find it. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks in advance.
>
> dennis Z
> "Always do the right thing. It will astonish some and gratify the
> rest." - Mark Twain
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:26:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Tried that also, but could not find anything to reset the option I was
looking for. I reset to default, and rebooted. Problem is still
there. Is there someplace in the registry to correct the problem?
Thanks

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:26:44 +1100, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>Look in Folder Options not Tweakui.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:26:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

dcz wrote:
> Tried that also, but could not find anything to reset the option I was
> looking for. I reset to default, and rebooted. Problem is still
> there. Is there someplace in the registry to correct the problem?
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:26:44 +1100, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
>
>
>>Look in Folder Options not Tweakui.
>
>

Save the lines between the asterisks to a .reg file; double click on the
file to merger the changes and reboot your computer. Does that fix it?

**********************************************************
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"MenuShowDelay"="400"
; 400 milli-seconds is the default
; reduce the value for faster response

**********************************************************

--
Bob Dietz
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:03:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

bob deitz, thank you! I went into the registry and found the key you
mentioned below. It had a value of 65864, or something similar!
Sheesh! No wonder it wasn't working. I changed it to 400 and
rebooted, and now the menu's are working like they used to. I don't
know how it got that way, but I'm going to be more careful if I decide
to use Tweak UI again. Thanks again for everyone's helpful advice.

dzwick

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:36:25 -0600, Bob Dietz <rbdietz_1999@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>dcz wrote:
>> Tried that also, but could not find anything to reset the option I was
>> looking for. I reset to default, and rebooted. Problem is still
>> there. Is there someplace in the registry to correct the problem?
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:26:44 +1100, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Look in Folder Options not Tweakui.
>>
>>
>
>Save the lines between the asterisks to a .reg file; double click on the
>file to merger the changes and reboot your computer. Does that fix it?
>
>**********************************************************
>Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
>"MenuShowDelay"="400"
>; 400 milli-seconds is the default
>; reduce the value for faster response
>
>**********************************************************
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:52:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Sorry, Start Menu properties. Something like Show menus when I pause my mouse over it. It's a checkbox not a listview.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uscricket.com
"dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message news:ip7411t2ooep3s38m68sv6lsqpp90roevr@4ax.com...
> Tried that also, but could not find anything to reset the option I was
> looking for. I reset to default, and rebooted. Problem is still
> there. Is there someplace in the registry to correct the problem?
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:26:44 +1100, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
>
>>Look in Folder Options not Tweakui.
>
!