Kodak DX6490 DX 6490 Technical Questions :o) love my camer..

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
December 14, 2004 7:06:18 AM

Hi Everyone! I am a beginner photog with a beginner digital camera ...

Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 EasyShare software. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and am left with feelings of anxiety over the amount of photos I will be able to take over my four-day visit and need help deciding how to enable max amt of pictures (I am in the experimentation phase). I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory card (s). Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.

Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with serious capabilities. I realize that the DX 6490 has its (artistic?) limitations, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.

Sadie

December 14, 2004 7:34:34 AM

AHA!

I'm not the only one whose burner was messed up by Easyshare software!
I can't cook a DVD-RW unless I disable Easyshare.

Personally, I'd go with a card reader. They're pretty cheap, and all
you'd need is any computer with USB (which would be most, these days).
No need to install any software.

I'd also recommend really warm clothes. I'm in the Chicago area, and
it's colder than hell.

For a whole zoo-ful of 6490 people (and other Kodak model people) go here:

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone! I am a beginner photog with a beginner digital camera ...
>
> Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 EasyShare software. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and am left with feelings of anxiety over the amount of photos I will be able to take over my four-day visit and need help deciding how to enable max amt of pictures (I am in the experimentation phase). I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).
>
> Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory card (s). Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
>
> Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with serious capabilities. I realize that the DX 6490 has its (artistic?) limitations, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.
>
> Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
>
> Sadie

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:47:28 AM

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone! I am a beginner photog with a beginner digital camera ...
>
> Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 EasyShare software. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and am left with feelings of anxiety over the amount of photos I will be able to take over my four-day visit and need help deciding how to enable max amt of pictures (I am in the experimentation phase). I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).
>
> Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory card (s). Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
>
> Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with serious capabilities. I realize that the DX 6490 has its (artistic?) limitations, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter .... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.
>
> Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
>
> Sadie

Hi Sadie...

Gosh, when I get to spend time with my kids and grandkids
40 pictures get taken before I even get warmed up :)
You'll need far, far more.

Just my opinion, and I emphasize just mine, but I wouldn't
install Easy share on my worst enemy's computer. Others
may disagree.

If time permits, and there's a few dollars left in the
budget why don't you see if you can't pick up a USB
card reader? If your youngster's room mate is running
XP, all she'll have to do is plug it into a usb port,
put your memory card in the reader, and the card will
magically appear as another drive. Ready to copy to a
CD, or to email back home to yourself, or whatever.
If she's running some other version of Windows, then
she may have to install a driver that will come packaged
with the reader you buy.

Take care.

Ken
December 14, 2004 3:32:37 PM

"Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone! I am a beginner photog with a beginner digital camera ...
>
> Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter.
Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2
EasyShare software. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my
photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew !
'>*_*<') and am left with feelings of anxiety over the amount of photos I
will be able to take over my four-day visit and need help deciding how to
enable max amt of pictures (I am in the experimentation phase). I could
bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to
daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't
want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

> Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut
feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory card (s). Any and all
advise appreciated, photog gurus.

> Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions.
I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with serious
capabilities. I realize that the DX 6490 has its (artistic?) limitations,
but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking
forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and
lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with
what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't
want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40
pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come
later.

> Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful
assistance and friendly advice.

> Sadie

My suggestion would be to buy a memory card (at least 256Mb) and a USB
connecting card reader. You can then download the pictures without worrying
about the Kodak software taking over the computer.

Gerrit - Oz
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:02:34 PM

Greetins Sadie,

Did not see your more recent post till now. I offered a solution that you
seem to have remedied. You can, however, use the suggestion about only
installing the CCS section of EasyShare software. Use the custom option
noted during installation via the CD.

As you know, not all computers are the same and not all operating systems
react the same to the same software. So, although I would trust the
download and installation of the software, you may want to try the above. I
guess it really depends on the feelings of your Daughters roommate. If you
do install the software, you need only plug in the camera to get the
pictures.

If you travel a lot and have similar concerns, you may want to try getting a
card reader that you can take along to friends etc. Very often the card
reader will be easily recognized without adding any software so you can
review the images in Microsoft Viewer if you have to. EasyShare would be a
nice option on any computer, however, so I would suggest it to your
Daughters friend.

Talk to you soon, let us know how you make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone! I am a beginner photog with a beginner digital camera ...
>
> Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter.
Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2
EasyShare software. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my
photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew !
'>*_*<') and am left with feelings of anxiety over the amount of photos I
will be able to take over my four-day visit and need help deciding how to
enable max amt of pictures (I am in the experimentation phase). I could
bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to
daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't
want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

> Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut
feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory card (s). Any and all
advise appreciated, photog gurus.

> Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions.
I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with serious
capabilities. I realize that the DX 6490 has its (artistic?) limitations,
but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking
forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and
lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with
what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't
want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40
pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come
later.

> Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful
assistance and friendly advice.

> Sadie

December 15, 2004 12:48:20 AM

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for the link to the 6490 forum! And the advice about a card-reader. That sounds great ... stopping at Office Depot on the way home!

Sandy

December 16, 2004 9:20:09 PM

Well, Mr. Baird,

It is very nice that a representative of Eastman Kodak is responding to questions in this forum. Thank you for your time.

I did buy a memory card and a card reader. So far, so good. I especially like that the card can hold almost 400 photos. I'll be a-snappin away!

I am sorry for you and your company that the EasyShare software has some problems. I did like using the features ES has ... writing captions, selecting favorites, etc. I didn't use much else because I started having so many issues. The internet connection changed to VSG camera or something like that. All references to NetZero were gone. My issues with the CD Burner were resolved after I re-installed the TDK VeloCD software and formatted a brand new CD.

I'm not an expert, that's for sure ... and that is where all of my frustration came in. The name is EasyShare, but it was a bundle of trouble for me. Good luck ... hope everything is on the right track with ES.

Thanks again,
Sadie