Hard drive won't spin

chris0147

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hi guys,

I need your help as I has got a problem with the hard drive. Few months ago the hard drive was working fine when I was working on it to get the partition table to restore as it has been corrupted due to raw format. When I ran the test disk, it took me ages to complete the method to restore the partition but I doesn't realised that the hard drive started to stop working when the recovery program did not complete the process to recover the partition.

I have had a look at the PCB board to find out why the hard drive won't spin. I suspected that the spindle motor wiring on the PCB to engaged with the motor axis to allows the platters to spins, is burnt.

Here's the picture:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/176/burntp.jpg

I would like to get advice how I can measure the PCB board using with the digtal multimeter.

Can you please tell me how I can measure the PCB board using with digital multimeter to find out whether if the spindle motor wiring or the PCB board is dead??

Any advice?

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It does look burnt, but i can't tell if thats part of the PCB board or the other part of the drive. Most likely you'll need to replace the board but if it's a newer drive it gets pretty hard to find a replacement which is most likely what you'll need. I don't remember what steps you need to take, but if you google PCB board replacements you should get a tutorial on it. See if anyone has one selling on ebay (most likely a dead drive where the PCB board works).