Sign in with
Your question

HDD vs SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2012 2:41:49 AM

Hi,

I am using a 2-year old laptop, running i5-430M, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145 1G, 8G 1333 DDR3 RAM, and 500G 7200RPM HDD.

I am considering getting a replacement. Actually, considering my uses, which include basic word processing, non 3D-accerlated games, and rudimentary use of Photoshop and Premiere, my laptop is more than I need, (with the Windows Experience Index being 6.6 for Processor, 7.0 for RAM, 4.9 for Aero, 5.9 for 3D, and 5.9 for disk storage) but my single parent wants my machine, so I may need to get another.

I heard that SSD has performance advantages over HDD, but I also heard that SSD has stability issues.

I heard that if more than 5% of storage is "damaged", the SSD controller will shutdown the entire SSD, and basically once it's shutdown, the entire drive is unrecognizable in BIOS, much less Windows 7 OS , i.e. data is lost for good. I also heard that S.M.A.R.T, while useful for health of desktop HDD, is basically unless when it comes to laptops, much less SSD (desktop or laptop). Is this true?

From what I heard, since most SSD comes with a 3-to-5 year warranty, when the SSD is shut down, all you can do is go to the manufacture's service center to get a new one, which most will do, but there is no way to recover the data (you can't even "pay" to get it back, because unless HDD, there is simply no way.) If this is true, would a regular Secure Erase help? (my idea is to use Win7's built-in system image maker to make an image of the entire SSD to a portable HDD, make a bootable media (CD), secure erase the SSD, boot off the CD, and restore from the portable HDD)

Is there an easier way to do this?

I also heard that using a SLC SSD over a MLC SSD can make the SSD more stable, but they are simply unavailable for the laptop market. Is there a way to go around this?

Thanks,

Apisorder

More about : hdd ssd

a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 3:06:25 AM

You've heard a lot of things. I'm not fully up to speed on SSDs and they can very with who made it, but I'll give you answers as I understand them.

Quote:
I heard that SSD has performance advantages over HDD, but I also heard that SSD has stability issues.

I wouldn't say they have stability issues. There have been some firmware and/or driver issues, but they get straightened out. At this point in time I wouldn't worry to much about stability problems.

Quote:
I heard that if more than 5% of storage is "damaged", the SSD controller will shutdown the entire SSD,

I've never heard this. I believe at some point as the cells degrade/die then you'll lose the ability to write more data. But the drive is still readable and should show up in my computer.

Quote:
I also heard that S.M.A.R.T, while useful for health of desktop HDD, is basically unless when it comes to laptops, much less SSD (desktop or laptop).

Never heard this either. SMART as a whole is no more useful on any drive or system. It can't magically tell you when the drive will die. It just reports what the drive has logged. Laptop or desktop, hdd or ssd. Shouldn't make a difference.

Quote:
when the SSD is shut down, all you can do is go to the manufacture's service center to get a new one

Again, see above.

Quote:
I also heard that using a SLC SSD over a MLC SSD can make the SSD more stable, but they are simply unavailable for the laptop market. Is there a way to go around this?

SLC aren't more stable, just faster. They should be able to be found for laptops, I don't see why they wouldn't. You mean to tell me there are no 2.5" SLC ssds?
m
l
August 3, 2012 11:41:21 PM

Hi Verbalizer,

I am aware of most of the benefits you mentioned, and am impressed by your knowledge and ability to give detailed explanations, but would you please elaborate on my concerns of SSD's stability issues?

Thanks,

Apisorder
m
l
August 6, 2012 9:00:26 AM

Hi Verbalizer,

But unless I am installing my own SSD, it is not really possible to know how long the current batch of SSD installed on this shipment of laptops I am considering have been on the market for several months or not, right? (From my experience, even for the same model, the components change from month to month, even though the specs don't change themselves.)

Thanks,

Apisorder
m
l
!