SilverStone RV02B-W or Cooler Master HAF X RC-942

I had this doubt and I ended up with the Raven.. Awesome case.. However, if you have more than one video card and/or three or more hard drives, opt for the HAF-X.. Also, after playing with both the cases, although I ended up with the RV02, I felt that the HAF-X is more easy to build into..

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I have a the Raven RV02 from Silverstone and I'm just utterly blown away by it. I will never be able to buy a conventional PC case again - this is just SO much better. My CPU has a tower cooler and is sucking air directly form one of the 120mm intake fans and pushing it back out directy on the outtake fan.
My vid. card has a closed case and an intake fan at the back end, again, sucking cold air right from the bottom fan and blowing it out on top. The PSU has a competely separate air circulation system.
This way none of the components heat each other - the temparatures are great, my CPU never reaches 45 degrees C, even when OC'ed from 2,5 to 3,1 GHz.

I'm sure the HAF is a good case as well, but I really can't immagine anything topping my experience with the Raven 2.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Oh, heh yes - i menat the 180m fans at the bottom. I didn't remember the diametre correctly. So you are correct - there are 3 180mm fans at the bottom, sucking cold air in and one 120mm fan at the top (right abouve the CPU fan), sucking the hot air out.

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

one 120mm fan at the top is not enough to blow that air out .....

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

It definitely is, mate. The rest of the top case ir not fully closed, it is made if grills - the heat rises naturally and is additionaly blown upwards by the bottom fans.
Actually it's better if you do not listen to me (just some guy from the internet) but go to the Silverstone website http://www.silverstonetek.com/ and read a more detailed and ACCURATE desription of the chassis. They even have heat images showing the air flow and whatnot...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
More intake means positive pressure which means more air and dust blown into the system and less exhausted... I'm not sure why SS RV02 chose this config but generally its better to have just a little bit of negative pressure so that everything in the case is exhausted... I have seen good reviews on RV02 performance but the HAF really gives you better airflow management with bigger fans...

But hey its a personal choice and like Emperus said it could depends on the quantity of components going inside...

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Fair enough. I haven't got a single speck of dust im my Raven 2, though. All its intake fans have washable dust filters.

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Tulx,RAV2 is an excellent choice,but in my case I have Quad OC to 3,8Ghz,plaining to ad another GTX in SLI .. so I need a good cool case.....

p.s.
I am concern about that single top fan..... !!!!!

p.s. 2
heat images... I cant find

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Here's the link to one of the vids ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=douRh490E3I ) - there's a second part and some other vids as well. It features the Raven 1, but it's basically the same cooling system.
I remember lookingat the HAF as a potentioal case as well, but chose the Raven because of its extraordinary component placement.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Ah, I have a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, Phenom 1 9850 OC from 2,5 to 3,1 GHz and a Radeon HD 5870. I'm about to upgrade the Mobo, CPU and RAM, But I'm keepeing the CPU cooler, which is a Alpenföhn Nordwand. There are some HDDs and a DVD drive, but those don't affect the cooling much.

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

CPU and GPU temp,idle and load!

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Heh, OK - will post them when I get home from work in the evening.
Menwhile you can see some temperature examples in the various reviews of the Raven 2 across the internet.

belltollsforthee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

I got to say that i feel there are quite a bit of myths and misconceptions about airflow; for one that more fans are better and that negative is some how better then positive. Believe me i was all for negative a few months ago but after some serious research i found that positive not only improved system performance but also cleanliness and thus, component longevity. (when filters are used on every intake fan like all of Silverstone's products)

now, i refuse to buy any case that is not positive airflow or that will not offer the ability to create positive airflow (properly with a lot of filters), and there are few companies out there who use positive airflow builds because many would rather capitalizes on popular misconception and lack of knowledge/research available.

I admit, the HAF is much better looking, but i would go with the any of the Silverstone products because it means lower temps and a cleaner pc.

some proof? well my favorite to show is this link:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_positive.php?area=

its simple to understand and has pretty good flash animation rather then just pure text.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

The flash animations explain it much better than I could ever have. As said - my Raven 2 with its 3 180mm fans at the bottom is medically clean on the inside, despite the fact that I have a cat and a long-haired girlfriend :D

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
PS - I also prefer the understated "stealth" look of the Raven, actually. The HAF looks more hardcore and agressive, no doubt, but I thought the Raven would be better incase I suddenly grow up and stop liking too flashy things. (Mhm - I'm saying that while being 23)