Sign in with
Your question

Need Help finishing a build, Vid Card & fan placement

Last response: in Systems
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2010 7:57:40 PM

I still need a video card and an optical drive, I'll probably just grab a $20 DVD-r drive off Newegg. I need some advice on the Video Card. I will not be using this computer for much gaming. But I will be using it for HD media viewing and a little bit of compiling code and some photoshop/office utility work. Here are the current components I have(all linked to the exact model as found on newegg).

Phenom II X4 965 125W
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power
NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO Black Steel

The PSU is on the light side, and because this Phenom fell on my Lap, I am going to have to go with a light Video Card. I don't want to spend any more the $70 on a card. I don't care much which site I buy it from(newegg, TD) but it will have to be online, I don't have a microcenter or Fry's nearby. I am looking at this POWERCOLOR Go! Green AX5450 512MK3-SH Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar), although I wouldn't mind something a little more powerful while keeping the power consumption still within in my build.

Also, I need some Fan placement Help. I'll be assembling this build as the parts come in. I currently only have one intake fan on the case, the included 120mm fan on the bottom front. I am running the stock heatsink on the Phenom as well. Do I need anymore fans or a new heatsink. I would like to overclock it a little just for fun. This is my first build in 8 years. Also, looking at my case, what fan orientation would you suggest? I have read a lot of conflicting information about optimal fan placement, positive pressure vs negative pressure etc... on this forum.

Thanks in Advance!
June 9, 2010 3:13:22 AM

... huh ...

That PSU makes me very nervous ... especially with that CPU ... no wiggle-room AT ALL ... Please do consider (at least) a 480Watt~550Watt (Earthwatts or Corsair).

Did you use the newegg power caculator tool ?

Anyways ... From the looks of your CURREnT build ... this is my BEST offer.
(OPEN GL 3.2 and CUDA ! )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Much better options if you up the PSU !

= Al =
m
l
!