Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ssd for os

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2012 6:31:27 AM

For my build, i'm considering to use a ssd for the boot drive..
whould 60gb be enough for windows7 home premium plus some key apps?
also, is there anything I should look out for when buying one? I'm Kinda new in the ssd world..

More about : ssd

a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 6:38:41 AM

60GB would absolutely be enough, I'm using the OCZ Agility 3 drive, which ends up with 55.8GB of free space after the headroom is taken into account, so expect a 60GB drive to be similar.

Anyways, I have 12.1GB free still with a few....hundred programs installed along with Battlefield 3.

Remember to change your Video/Picture folders in the User documents over to a pre-defined drive on your HDD.

** Forgot to mention, I have also disabled my Pagefile, which frees up space equivalent to how much RAM you have. If you have 8GB or more RAM, you should do the same. Otherwise if you need the free space, you can also move the Pagefile to your HDD.
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
a c 200 G Storage
July 31, 2012 9:21:31 AM

The sweet spot for an OS drive and a few apps would be 120gb.

Look at crucial m4 , samsung 830's.
m
l
Related resources
a c 311 G Storage
July 31, 2012 2:55:02 PM

A 60GB ssd is sufficient for Microsoft Windows 7, software applications, and utilities. Installing games on a 60GB ssd might be a problem.

Area51reopened is correct about 120 or 128 GB ssd's being the sweet spot. There have been some great sale prices for 120 or 128 GB ssd's (and 256GB). The same cannot be said for the small capacity ssd's. The price for 60GB ssd's is high when compared to the 120 or 128 GB ssd sale prices.

Tom's Hardware usually has a link to daily deals in the news section on the left hand side of the home page. Following the links leads to LogicBuy. The site is a shopping service that lists the lowest online prices for products. LogicBuy just happens to have a web page just for drives:

http://www.logicbuy.com/categorydeals/computers/hard-dr...

There's also a supplemental page with a few of the the best ssd prices:

http://www.logicbuy.com/features/best-ssd-deals

You just have to be patient and check frequently because items on sale and their prices change daily.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
July 31, 2012 4:27:05 PM

60 gig SSD = approx 56 gigs formated - 10 % MIM that Must be left free = 50 gigs usable. Myself I recommend leaving a min of 15 % free, this is so wear leveling, Garbage collector, and trim can work their magic.
While some say that a 60 gig SSD wrks fine, there are also a number of post where users get in a bind as they over fill the drive. Also the higher capacity drives have higer performance normally when compared to their smaller brother.

My recommended Min size for OS + program is 80 gigs with a recommended size of 120/128 ig (concur with johnny and are 51 on this. In all ffive of my systems, OS + programs, NO Games, takes about 35 gigs.

Do:
... Disable hibernation, save amount of space equal to Ram
... Page File. Default is approx 1.5 x Ram ( 8 gigs ram = approx 12 gig page file. I do NOT recommend deleting it (I have 16 gigs of Ram). What I do recommend is setting the MIN and MAX to the same size (I use 1024 mb). This still saves about 11 gigs (8 gigs of Ram). personally with it set to using only 1024 I keep on SSD, But if 1 gig is that important, then yes it can be relocated to the HDD.
.. Disable restore points, or at LEAST limit the amount of space they can take. Over time restore points can consue a large drive space. Each restor Point is 300 mb, so JUST 10 restore points = 3 gigs.

My preference is the 128 gig M4 or the Samsung 830 (for a laptop the M4 would be a better choice, desktop the 830 is a better choice - Performance wise there is almost NO diff between the 2 - I have both.
July 31, 2012 4:34:49 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
The sweet spot for an OS drive and a few apps would be 120gb.

Look at crucial m4 , samsung 830's.

I'll agree 120GB seems to be the sweet spot. On my 120GB ssd I have the OS + key apps (ms office and such) + 4 games and I have 40GB left over. 60GB to me seems to be cutting it too close. OCZ also makes a good quality SSD and you can get the 120GB for $85 @ newegg.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 5:11:16 PM

I would recommend 100 GB at least, then you can also use hibernation, which always need the same amount space as memory is installed and can't be placed anywhere else. I would go with a Samsung 830, but the mentioned will work too :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
July 31, 2012 7:49:02 PM

^ Hibernation is Not recommended for SSD do to the Increased writes. As fast as SSD are not that much time returning to the desktop.
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
July 31, 2012 7:53:52 PM

Agree with Retired Chief!!!

Turning hibernation off is one of the ssd space saving techniques
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
August 1, 2012 12:20:06 AM

Yes!
m
l
a b G Storage
August 1, 2012 2:35:51 PM

I'm using a Samsung 830 and a normal SSD normally should be able to write at least 35TB, which is over 20GB per day. Hibernation only writes the amount of data which is really consumed and not the size of the installed RAM.
I use hibernation not for faster boot time, I use it for convenient reasons when I just want to interrupt work and resume later, then it is really nice not being forced to start all needed apps again.
From my point a nowadays computer should help me working faster and convenient, and not just looking for the ssd.
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:36:17 AM

Best answer selected by BlackKbero.
m
l
!