Radeon HD 3450 AGP / Hotfix Driver / Warcraft III

ThoAppelsin

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
My old graphics cards fan has broken, so I had to buy a temporary AGP card for this old computer, and chosen HD 3450 AGP, since it's the cheapest one. o_O

Well, installed the card, then headed to ati.amd.com to download the latest driver. Then I was redirected to this article informing me that the driver is not WHQL certificated, and there I found this hotfix driver.

Now, with this driver, as I open Warcraft III, the game freezes on it's first frame and then blacks out. After a while I use alt + f4 combination to have my computer back... I could play this old game even with my old Radeon 9800 PRO without any problems...

There are some other problems, like;
- the screen blacks out again, when open Cover Flow on iTunes
- the screen goes black for 2 seconds, when I open a video on Quicktime. And when the screen gets back to normal, the video remains black

Those are the problems I've got in 12-24 hours... I will get a new computer as soon as the components I want becomes available anyway, I only want to play some Warcraft 3 till then xD

Operating System: XP Home Edition
Other specs must be enough for playing Warcraft III on the highest mode, since I could play it on the highest mode before. The only diffrence on my computer is "9800 Pro (6 years old) -> HD 3450 (1 day old)". I assume that this is somehow related with the driver and WHQL thingy... I don't know, maybe DirectX (9.0c) rejects working properly without WHQL certificated driver...