Can I use \Windows\i386 folder to make install/recovery CD?

Beaudeau

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
My laptop came without a Win XP install CD. There is a \Windows\i386 folder that appears to contain a lot of compressed setup files. Can I make a CD (and how) to re-install or recover from crashes?

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
The i386 folder contains only the system files for XP so copying it won't backup your personal data (pics, docs, music, etc...). You want to create an automated system recovery CD. Click Start, Accesories, Backup, Advanced Mode, Automated Recovery Wizard.

Beaudeau

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

I have the Home Edition of XP, which does not come with ASR. And my laptop did not come with an install CD. HELP says I can do a recovery with the Install CD. How can I make one from i386??

Beaudeau

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Yes, it worked perfectly, and I have now a booting recovery CD. But when I get to the point where I select the Recovery Console, it asks for an "Administrator password". I have never set up any password on this computer. I tried "password" and "pw", but neither worked. Typing nothing and just hitting ENTER returns me to the command prompt with no further options.

TRENDING THREADS