Freezing on cold startup

G

Hello,
I recently upgraded my motherboard to a P5Q PRO Turbo, i was using an XFX 680i motherboard.
I have a core2quad q6600, 8 GB ram, 9800GT Video Card, Samsung 1.5TB hard drive, Creative XFI Gaming series sound card.
Everything worked fine when i was on my XFX mb, but when i switched to the ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo, Every time i boot the pc in the morning(after its been off for a few hours), it boots up to the windows screen where you pick your username, then freezes up and cant continue. If i let the computer sit like that for 5-10 mins and then restart it, i can get into windows no problem without the freezing.
It's like i have to let it warm up or something. I've built plenty of computers for myself and others and have never had this problem before.
I researched it a little and read it could be a power supply issue, so i just installed a brand new 750watt kingwin psu to replace a 600watt rosewill that i had for maybe 6-8 months, and its still doing the freezing on cold startup.
the ram i have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
which is on the vendor list for this board.
But i'm pretty sure its not a ram issue cause, once i leave the computer sitting on for 5-10mins after a cold start up, then reset it, it works no problem.
It's just after powering it on when its been off for a while is when it freezes up
This is AFTER fresh install of windows and updating drivers etc.
Does anyone know what else could be the problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

G

i upgraded the motherboard for more sata ports, onboard usb ports, etc.

not overclocking.

ran memtest, no errors.

cpu is 35C
gpu is 55C

Both the original PSU and its replacement are excessively mediocre brands. I'd try to borrow a known good PSU to make sure that the power supply is not the problem.

Yes, I know. Having spent over 40 years troubleshooting all kings of military electronics, I realize that having a replacement part generate the exact same symptoms is unusual. But it does happen.

Another thing to try is to determine the time interval when the problem shows up. Then unplug the drives, memory and any expansion cards.

With only the PSU and CPU installed, boot the system. You should hear a series of long continuous beeps ("no memory" signal). Silence indicates a problem with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Wait the time interval. Add memory and boot. You should hear a long beep and two or three short beeps (no GPU signal). Silence indicates a problem with memory.

Wait and install the GPU and boot. You should hear the single short beep of a successful POST. Silence indicates a problem with the GPU. Notice that you do not need the keyboard, mouse, or monitor for the above steps.

Wait. Plug in the monitor. Boot. You should see the boot messages on the monitor stop and hang with a "Missing keyboard" message.

Wait. Plug in the keyboard. Boot. You should see a "missing boot device" message.

Continue to wait, plug in one component at at time, and test. Sooner or later, you should be able to isolate the faulty component.

Or you can ignore the problem and never turn off the system. :)

G

thanks for the detailed reply jsc, i'll try this out and see what happens :)

gg_bristol

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hello,
I recently upgraded my motherboard to a P5Q PRO Turbo, i was using an XFX 680i motherboard.
I have a core2quad q6600, 8 GB ram, 9800GT Video Card, Samsung 1.5TB hard drive, Creative XFI Gaming series sound card.
Everything worked fine when i was on my XFX mb, but when i switched to the ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo, Every time i boot the pc in the morning(after its been off for a few hours), it boots up to the windows screen where you pick your username, then freezes up and cant continue. If i let the computer sit like that for 5-10 mins and then restart it, i can get into windows no problem without the freezing.
It's like i have to let it warm up or something. I've built plenty of computers for myself and others and have never had this problem before.
I researched it a little and read it could be a power supply issue, so i just installed a brand new 750watt kingwin psu to replace a 600watt rosewill that i had for maybe 6-8 months, and its still doing the freezing on cold startup.
the ram i have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
which is on the vendor list for this board.
But i'm pretty sure its not a ram issue cause, once i leave the computer sitting on for 5-10mins after a cold start up, then reset it, it works no problem.
It's just after powering it on when its been off for a while is when it freezes up
This is AFTER fresh install of windows and updating drivers etc.
Does anyone know what else could be the problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Did you manage to solve this issue? It occurs with me too with the same MB