I have noticed recently that my computer has become a little sluggish. I
wondered if I had any tsr stuff running. On checking my task manager running
processes I have 31 of them running under my user name and another 22 of
system, local service and network system running.

Question: Are these all necessary? Especially under my user name and how
does one stop them from loading.

Also my task manager continuously pops in and out of the screen frequently.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:47:03 -0800, Ezsleep wrote:

> I have noticed recently that my computer has become a little sluggish. I
> wondered if I had any tsr stuff running. On checking my task manager running
> processes I have 31 of them running under my user name and another 22 of
> system, local service and network system running.
>
> Question: Are these all necessary? Especially under my user name and how
> does one stop them from loading.
>
> Also my task manager continuously pops in and out of the screen frequently.

I have 45 running and am quite happy with performance.

If you want to thin the list down, concentrate on the items that belong to
programs that you allow to load at startup. Use Start> Run> MSCONFIG and
look at the startup page to get an idea of what is currently loading at
startup. Identify each program. Assess your need. If the item does not need
to load at every startup, open the main program and use its menus to change
the startup behavior.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I have done that and there is a notification each time, something to the
effect that task manager is running in a limited start up mode and that I
should do something. I ignore it and all loads up OK. A couple of other
things have come to my attention:
There is only 256K of RAM on the computer. I think it needs much more so I
have ordered 1 Gb. Coming soon. The other thing was that several spywares
were present that kept appearing even after deleting the normal way. They
were Ebates and Netfix. I had to remove them from the registry (about 12
different values, keys, dlls and inis) and things are a little better. I
also had a problem with the task manager and the box asking for a network
password reset kept popping up and immediately disappearing. That seems to
have stopped. Found out that the spyware remover SOAP was responsible for
placing the Netfix spyware on the system??!!?

Thanks for the reply and Hopefully this exchange will help others.

Bob

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:17:04 -0800, Ezsleep wrote:

> I have done that and there is a notification each time, something to the
> effect that task manager is running in a limited start up mode and that I
> should do something. I ignore it and all loads up OK.

That notification is from MSCONFIG. It means that you disabled the startup
program by unchecking it MSCONFIG instead of using the menus of the
relevant program.

> There is only 256K of RAM on the computer. I think it needs much more so I
> have ordered 1 Gb. Coming soon.

I like at least 512 on an XP system. I hope that you enjoy your new RAM.

> The other thing was that several spywares
> were present that kept appearing even after deleting the normal way. They
> were Ebates and Netfix. I had to remove them from the registry (about 12
> different values, keys, dlls and inis) and things are a little better. I
> also had a problem with the task manager and the box asking for a network
> password reset kept popping up and immediately disappearing. That seems to
> have stopped. Found out that the spyware remover SOAP was responsible for
> placing the Netfix spyware on the system??!!?

Malware is probably the leading cause of poor performance on today's
systems. Second runner up is outdated or flakey drivers for hardware.

> Thanks for the reply and Hopefully this exchange will help others.

You're welcome and I hope so too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User