Canon A80 with slave flash

Yesterday l tried to take some pix with the Canon Poershot A80, together
with another "remote" slave flash.

The slave was triggered but the exporsure on the A80 was under exposed.
I tried it on Automatic mode.

However when l tried it on manual the exporsures were OK, have to change
aperture/speed settings.

Anyone any advise as to how one could set up slave flashes to work well
with the Automatic mode?

Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about canon slave flash

    Can you display some sample snaps you would have taken with this !!??

    Troyka Makes everyone a cup of Earl Grey tea while we hear what Era
    <era@nomail.none> has to say
    >Yesterday l tried to take some pix with the Canon Poershot A80, together
    >with another "remote" slave flash.
    >
    >The slave was triggered but the exporsure on the A80 was under exposed.
    >I tried it on Automatic mode.
    >
    >However when l tried it on manual the exporsures were OK, have to change
    >aperture/speed settings.
    >
    >Anyone any advise as to how one could set up slave flashes to work well
    >with the Automatic mode?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    apparently the a80 flashes twice, you need to set the slave to flash
    on the second flash.. they are so close together, its hard to see it
    happen.

    there is a discussion on fill flash which covers this on
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canon_A80/join

    Troyka

    some of my pix.
    http://public.fotki.com/hurst/
    comments welcome

    --------------------------
    Youth Work Resources
    the youth work website
    http://www.youthworker.org.uk
    --------------------------

    Era wrote:

    > Anyone any advise as to how one could set up slave flashes to work well
    > with the Automatic mode?

    Canon Powershot models use a pre-flash (a low-power flash burst just
    milliseconds before the main flash) to set white balance and flash
    exposure, except in manual mode. Unfortunately, the pre-flash will
    trigger a standard slave unit, which means that the off-camera flash
    will have fired before the camera actually takes the picture.
    If you want to use an external flash as a slave, you'll have to buy a
    special slave unit that will ignore the pre-flash (Wein, and others,
    make them) and you may still have problems achieving proper exposure.
    I think it's easier to just set up in manual mode and turn the
    in-camera flash down to its lowest setting (just enough to trigger the
    standard slave and add a bit of fill).
    If you're using something like a Vivitar 283 as the off-camera slave,
    you can dial it up to match the exposure you've set on the camera's
    manual controls.

    -- Ron

    -- Ron

    "Ronald Hands" <rhands@NOSPAMmountaincable.net> wrote in message
    > Era wrote:
    >

    >> Anyone any advise as to how one could set up slave flashes to work well
    >> with the Automatic mode?
    >
    > Canon Powershot models use a pre-flash (a low-power flash burst just
    > milliseconds before the main flash) to set white balance and flash
    > exposure, except in manual mode. Unfortunately, the pre-flash will trigger
    > a standard slave unit, which means that the off-camera flash will have
    > fired before the camera actually takes the picture.
    > If you want to use an external flash as a slave, you'll have to buy a
    > special slave unit that will ignore the pre-flash (Wein, and others, make
    > them) and you may still have problems achieving proper exposure.
    > I think it's easier to just set up in manual mode and turn the in-camera
    > flash down to its lowest setting (just enough to trigger the standard
    > slave and add a bit of fill).
    > If you're using something like a Vivitar 283 as the off-camera slave,
    > you can dial it up to match the exposure you've set on the camera's manual
    > controls.
    >
    > -- Ron
    >

    > -- Ron

    Here is something interesting....

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dig_definitions.html

    This should be adaptable to above water use as well.

Photo Flash Canon Cameras