Unusual problem...could be a silly question

Jayx

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Probably the silliest question to date but I have to ask. I spent hours upon hours troubleshooting this board and my ati hd 4870's. Yes i know its a few years old but i got it second hand and its better than what i currently use :) PCIE slot 1 would not give enough juice to clear the error led's on the gpu. however slot 2,3,4 would. I changed PSU, cardboard loaded it etc. Now after a couple hundred bucks in upgrades and countless hours I notice something.... On the diagram in the manual it lists BIOS in between two of the sockets at te bottom of the board, one is firewire dont remember the other, but still All research points to this is where the BIOS chip "should" be. It is an empty socket!! in various pics I see the bios chip there so my question is plain and simple, Did all my heartache this week stem from the fact that there is no chip in the socket? Obviously I get no POST, no beeps, no boot nothing but spinning fans and hdd. I just had to ask, I ordered a bios chip and am currently waiting on it. Could this cause all these issues? I have never run into this before i consider myself pretty well educated in PC's but this was a slap in the face! Thanks for the help!!!

Jay

Jayx

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I bought a preflashed chip for the motherboard. I am praying that this bios chip can breathe new life into this board, I have spent too much time and energy not to mention money to get this rig working...but OC'ing the 9950be i hear is easy so it should be well worth it.

Thanks for the reply btw Megaman!