Sign in with
Your question

I need a good USB 3.0 JBOD 4 or 5 bay enclosure!!!

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2012 12:46:16 PM

Hi,
I'm new here so forgive me if I break any forum rules or anything.

I'll get right down to the point, I have been looking FOREVER for a RELIABLE enclosure which has USB 3.0, 4 or 5 drive bays, and is JBOD (I absolutely don't want RAID). Anyways, I found one which seemed to be good :

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HF2-SU3S2-ProBox-Drive...

But this one also has many reviews where they said it just doesn't work.
There are some other Sans Digital ones but they also have reviews which say they don't work.

I can't find other good ones and I am sick and tired of looking/doing searching for hours.

Could someone PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASE HELP???!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 12:54:13 PM

What is your intended use for this device? And why would you still be looking for one, after having looked "FOREVER"?
July 31, 2012 1:00:45 PM

Lol.

I actually need space for a day-by-day growing collection of HD videos.

I'm still looking because i have not found one which got good reviews AND was not too pricey...

thnx for the quick reply!!
Related resources
July 31, 2012 1:21:05 PM

Thanks but what i actually need is just a JBOD without any hard drives in it which supports upto 12 or 15TB (4x3TB) or (5x3TB)

those in the link are kinda pricey too...
a c 311 G Storage
July 31, 2012 6:33:45 PM

Anything USB will be kinda pricey - it's new. eSATA is a more established product and so probably less expensive, if you have a true eSATA port. I never found anything that really thrilled me. Firewire2 builds his own. Peek at this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

But 1) USB 3.0 is new and thus expensive, and 2) External multidrive enclosures have always been expensive.
July 31, 2012 8:00:14 PM

thanks for the help!!

are there no good 4 or 5 bay enclosures below $250 or something, like the probox i gave in my first post?

And what do you say about the probox in my first post? Is it worth buying?
a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 8:08:17 PM

I'm sure you've heard the old saying - "You get what you pay for"

$250 is about the going rate you'll have to spend for something decent, give or take...
a b G Storage
July 31, 2012 9:09:17 PM

Tabster Vega said:
thanks for the help!!

are there no good 4 or 5 bay enclosures below $250 or something, like the probox i gave in my first post?

And what do you say about the probox in my first post? Is it worth buying?

Well for what? USB3 I don't know any, for eSata there a lot of them on the market. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor... most of them can function as Jbod. I know rosewill sells an external enclosure for 8 drives with a 250watt psu for $250 (when on sale they are usually around $150). Only need to make sure your motherboard or add on card supports Port multiplier function or it will NOT work! Again you must check this prior to buying, especially since the larger 5+ drive towers require two(2) esata ports!

Alternatively, what I ended up doing is using regular off the shelf external 3TB HDD's but a bunch of them into a glass cabin with USB extendor cable and attached to a UPS, then labeled each drive with a labeling machine so I can
easily know which drive has what data and used the same name as drive description so I can easily find them in windows explorer.
August 1, 2012 12:38:30 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
Well for what? USB3 I don't know any, for eSata there a lot of them on the market. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor... most of them can function as Jbod. I know rosewill sells an external enclosure for 8 drives with a 250watt psu for $250 (when on sale they are usually around $150). Only need to make sure your motherboard or add on card supports Port multiplier function or it will NOT work! Again you must check this prior to buying, especially since the larger 5+ drive towers require two(2) esata ports!

Alternatively, what I ended up doing is using regular off the shelf external 3TB HDD's but a bunch of them into a glass cabin with USB extendor cable and attached to a UPS, then labeled each drive with a labeling machine so I can
easily know which drive has what data and used the same name as drive description so I can easily find them in windows explorer.

Those enclosures actually have pretty much the same feedback as the probox I linked to. I guess I will just have to buy one and see :sweat: 
!