Intel core 2 quad q9300 only running at 25%

Hello,
I'm running
-windows XP 64bit SP2
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @2.5gh
-Asus P5E LGA775 motherboard
-8 Gigs of ram
-Nvidia GF 9800 GX2

I'm running a 3D program called Magics 64bit that corrects (stl)3D files. While the program is processing a file I go to task manager and check the CPU usage and it never goes above 27%. I would like to know if it's supposed to go higher? Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about intel core quad q9300 running
  1. run prime95 and see if your usage goes up
  2. it sounds like Magics is not multi-threaded so its using alot of 1 core while the other 3 are barely worked resulting in the low use you are seeing. I see the same thing on some of my apps with my 6 core, 1 core getting hit hard and the rest at idle if I look at the individual cpu graphs.
  3. A program has to support multi-threading to be able to use more than one CPU core. Additionally, depending on how multi-threading is implemented in the program, it may only use two cores, three cores or all four cores.

The only program I use that does indeed use all four cores is Handbrake to encode video files and only if I use the x.264 codec.
  4. Q9300 is great CPU it is QUAD core thats why it doesnt go higher than 27 % you should be happy about that .. if that programs work correctly if its not so install WIN XP 32 bit or other win just 32 bit
  5. Hey, thanks everybody for the comments. lols, even the ones from saimik. I contacted the company and it turns out the program isn't written for multithreading... damn.

So another question for you guys, would a non-multithreaded program run faster on a 32-bit system or does it just not take advantage of the 64-bit capabilities? Thanks again everyone!
  6. rooftoplounge said:
    Hey, thanks everybody for the comments. lols, even the ones from saimik. I contacted the company and it turns out the program isn't written for multithreading... damn.

So another question for you guys, would a non-multithreaded program run faster on a 32-bit system or does it just not take advantage of the 64-bit capabilities? Thanks again everyone!

multi-threading has nothing to do with a 32-bit or 64-bit OS
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel Quad