Recycling Dell Cooler for E2160 for E5500 ?

Name141

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Is it possible for me to recycle my dell cooler safely for an OEM version of a E5500 ?

I was told I could not use the Intel heatsink/fan combo without replacing the intel push pins with screws from a "Thermalright 775 Bolt-thru kit" due to Dell using screws rather than push pins. (and the part about dell using screws other than push pins is right as seen in the manual : http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/EN/OM/HTML/om_en.zip

I also thought about a E5400 (but that's neither here nor there for this I guess.. (seeing as it'd be the same situations))

oh my current CPU is a E2160.

popatim

Titan
the few socket 775 cpu's that I have worked with all have had a base piece that sits on the backside of the motherboard and is either plastic or metal (usually metal on the ones I worked with) and the "Cooler" unit that either screws in or gets secured by pushpins. The base piece is needed to prevent the weight of the cooler from ripping cracking the motherboard by 'speading the load'.

I doubt the bases are interchangable and the screwin type maybe specific to the cooler, though a handy builder may find a way to make them work.

By "recycle " do you mean use it for upgrading to the E5500 in an existing Dell ?
Yes
Both chips have a TDP of 65 watts.

TRENDING THREADS