Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon 5770 Problems/Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2010 1:14:06 AM

I just recently built a new PC and everything seems to work great, except my graphics card. At first i plugged my 5770 into my PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, screwed it in, and connected my PSU to it. I plugged in my monitor and nothing happened. Nothing came up so I thought that maybe it was that PCI slot. I put it into the other PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot and it didn't work either. I turned it off and started it again just to be sure and all of a sudden my PC shut down. It is my first build (I didn't think) so I just turned the PC back on. It turned off immediately and I noticed smoke coming up from the area of my GPU. I took out my GPU and turned it on after about 5 minutes and everything seems to work fine again.

Is the problem with the GPU or is there a bigger issue at hand? I RMA'd and sent back the GPU to Newegg, but I am just wondering from the POV of someone with more knowledge.

PS: The fan was working on the GPU.

Other specs:

Athlon X4 630 2.8 ghz
4GB of RAM
530 Watt PSU Green Series
500GB HDD Green Series
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 1:27:50 AM

If it started smoking that is definately not a good thing, it means it shorted somewhere and thats bad. I could be a manufacturing defect, but it could also be that your PSU didn't have enough power to it (less likely since it started smoking).

I think that your problem with the GPU was a manufacturing defect.
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:30:25 AM

Yea, I pretty much knew it was either the PSU didn't have enough power or it was a manufacturing defect. I ran like 3 different PSU calculators and all of them came to about 400-450 watt power usage so I thought I was good with a 530 watt.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 1:34:18 AM

I would wait till your RMA completes and get a new card, and see if that works....not having enough power shouldn't cause a card to smoke...and it may have enough power to begin with.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 1:35:32 AM

1. A 5770 will only fit into a PCIe slot. A PCI slot looks totally different and will not fit the card at all.

2. Your PSU is a green series? What is the make/model? It might be a poor quality PSU. Plz don't tell me it's Coolmax.

3. Are you able to try the 5770 on another computer?

4. "Green" HDDs are a marketing gimmick. They only use only 3-4 less watts than regular HDDs, and spin slower when idle, resulting in lower performance. Regular HDDs generally use less than 10 watts, which is an insignificant portion of your power consumption. Whereas high end CPUs and GPUs use 100-200+ watts in load.
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:40:12 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
1. A 5770 will only fit into a PCIe slot. A PCI slot looks totally different and will not fit the card at all.

2. Your PSU is a green series? What is the make/model? It might be a poor quality PSU. Plz don't tell me it's Coolmax.

3. Are you able to try the 5770 on another computer?

4. "Green" HDDs are a marketing gimmick. They only use only 3-4 less watts than regular HDDs, and spin slower when idle, resulting in lower performance. Regular HDDs generally use less than 10 watts, which is an insignificant portion of your power consumption. Whereas high end CPUs and GPUs use 100-200+ watts in load.

1. Thanks, but I knew that already

2. It is a Rosewill RG530-S12 Green Series PSU

3. No, I wasn't able to which is why I just sent it in.

4. I did not know that, thanks for the info. I will just go with a regular HDD next time around.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 1:44:54 AM

A Rosewill......that right there may be the source of other problems...not exactly the most quality focused brand around....as a result your 530W may not actually be 530W like you thought....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 1:46:09 AM

sk1939 said:
A Rosewill......that right there may be the source of other problems...not exactly the most quality focused brand around....as a result your 530W may not actually be 530W like you thought....

That's true, but Rosewill isn't horrible like CoolMax either.

Rosewill probably overrates their PSUs by a bit, by a 530watt PSU should be able to handle a low power consumption card like the 5770. But yeh, the PSU might be defective.

To OP: How many amps on the 12v rail does your PSU have?
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:50:37 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
That's true, but Rosewill isn't horrible like CoolMax either.

Rosewill probably overrates their PSUs by a bit, by a 530watt PSU should be able to handle a low power consumption card like the 5770. But yeh, the PSU might be defective.

To OP: How many amps on the 12v rail does your PSU have?

It says 41A under +12v DC Output. I am not sure if thats what your looking for.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 1:56:47 AM

Weed Whacker said:
It says 41A under +12v DC Output. I am not sure if thats what your looking for.

Should be enough for your card, although I don't know how long that PSU will last....I have a Maddog 450W from Compusa thats 6 yrs old still powering an AMD64 daily, but thats not to say that I trust it at all.

I do think that the card you had was the issue though.
m
l
May 4, 2010 2:00:52 AM

I honestly thought Rosewill was a like mid tier brand name. I guess I was way off the mark there. I was on a budget and would have actually liked to go with a Silverstone, Corsair, or Thermaltake. But, thank you both for your help. I learned a couple things that will benefit me in the long run.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 2:06:31 AM

Weed Whacker said:
I honestly thought Rosewill was a like mid tier brand name. I guess I was way off the mark there. I was on a budget and would have actually liked to go with a Silverstone, Corsair, or Thermaltake. But, thank you both for your help. I learned a couple things that will benefit me in the long run.

Honestly, we may bash Rosewill, because they tend to be cheap and some of their products are not very good, but some are actually quite good. Besides, if it works for you why change? If it fails its just another page in the book of experiance, and if it lasts a long time you know it was a decent PSU, or that you lucked out and got one of a good batch.
m
l
!