grrmisfit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
600 watt psu athlon 966 4 gig ram gigabyte 790fxta mobo

went to bed everything is fine.. woke up computer is off .. got 2 lights on mobo but i still replaced psu then removed cmos battery still nothing. i then tried jumping the power switch incase the switch itself was bad.. still nothing.. so im thinking i need to send in an RMA on the mobo? cant think of anything else

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Please provide more symptoms. then i can help you. Did you leave it overnight? Something probably fired if you did. Its not the PSU if there are still lights, so it must be your mobo.

grrmisfit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
ya it was on for about 6 hrs .. wish i could provide more symptoms but there just isnt anything else other then it wont power on at all.. guess ill try to rma the motherboard

edit: so im filling out my RMA at gigabytes website .. they want the serial so i lookin the mobo.. well i take a closer look at the glowing lights.. guess what they are??? on board power/reset/cmos clear buttons.. hit the power button and boom we have powa.. i guess i diddnt jump the pins good enough and my power switch must be bad. never knew the motherboard had on board power buttons guess i shoulda read the manual more

Not necessarily true. The motherboard LED's are powered by the small, always on standby power supply. This is completely separate from the from the main circuits that provide operating power to the computer.

About all those LED's do is indicate that the computer is plugged into a live outlet and the PSU is physically switched on.