Sign in with
Your question

New GPU old Game

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2010 1:45:27 AM

Hello,
I have a regular PC for work/school and today I tried to run a few old games on it. For some reason GTA Vice City does not work, it loads the game and freezes as soon as the first cut scene starts. The graphics card I am using is XFX 9600GT, not the most powerful card by today's standards but way more then powerful enough for a game from 2002. I tried to replace the card with my old 8400GS and the game ran perfectly on max settings but after putting 9600GT back in the game stopped working.

Specs:

Core i7 860 2.8 Ghz
4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
XFX 9600GT Stock
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Motherboard is MSI p55 gd65

I tried reinstalling the game and the drivers but it did not help, also I tried to run it in compatibility mode but no luck...

I know that 9600GT works perfectly fine because I tried a number of other games that all worked perfectly fine:

Crysis
Crysis Warhead
NFS Most Wanted
NFS Carbon
NFS Pro Street
NFS Shift
Doom 3
GTA San Andreas

all of those games worked perfectly.

Also I have an issue with GTA III, the game runs but none of the menus show up accept for the main menu.

Any help appreciated.

More about : gpu game

a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 2:01:02 AM

Does your video card have a Plug in for the power supply? If so, you may want to check if that's connected.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 2:04:14 AM

It sounds like a hardware incompatibility more than anything...I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to run GTAII or GTAIII....I know I can run GTAIII just fine, on both a 8500GT and a 9800GT.
Related resources
May 4, 2010 2:06:22 AM

multiscreenz said:
Does your video card have a Plug in for the power supply? If so, you may want to check if that's connected.

Yes it requires a 6pin PCI express connector which is connected properly, PSU is 700W OCZ modular. The graphics card requires a 450W PSU so 700W should be enough for it even with an i7
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 3:13:45 AM

Driver update or maybe even try an older driver. You could also try reinstalling GTA or chkdsk, it may help.
!