Slow connection, need a new router

Shabla

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Hi, I've been wondering why my cable internet connection was so slow (the internet plan is for a 30MB connection, getting only 6MB), I use a wired router and we are only 2 using the connection, me and my father (and he barely use it). So I tried plugging the cable from my computer directly into the modem instead of the router, and then I got approx. 26-28MB in speed test, instead of 5-6MB.

So I figured out my router is to blame, it's pretty old actually (U.S. Robotics Broadband Router (Model # USR8000, Version V1.25)) and I want to get a new one. I don't need any fancy option (the only one I ever used was port forwarding for gaming), just pretty much just game and download alot.

I have no idea at all on how choosing my router, I would probably just go to a store and randomly point one to buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind all that much for the price (although cheaper is better, and I won't spend 200$ either), I don't mind buying online either (available in Canada though).

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help me !

Solution

I would also assume they're all 10/100, but that page never quite comes out and says the WAN port is 10/100. It only specifically mentions the LAN ports. In fact, further down it says:

The LAN ports are used to connect devices to the local area network. The green Link/Act LEDs flash when the specific LAN port is sending or receiving data. The green 10/100 LEDs are lighted to indicate a speed of 100 Mbps and unlighted to indicate a speed of 10 Mbps.

Does the...
I'd have to check the spec (assuming it's even available), but given the behavior and age of the router, my first guess is that the WAN port is only 10mbps, not 10/100mpbs. And since you never get 100% efficiency anyway, I would expect less than 10mbps under real world conditions.

Shabla

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
from this I guess it's 100mbps.

But yeah, in real download situation when using the router I get ~500-700 Kb/s max (I downloaded Bad Company 2 from steam at 300 Kb/s max). When I was on the modem I downloaded HL2 Lost Coast from Steam at 1.8-2 Mb/s ...

I would also assume they're all 10/100, but that page never quite comes out and says the WAN port is 10/100. It only specifically mentions the LAN ports. In fact, further down it says:

The LAN ports are used to connect devices to the local area network. The green Link/Act LEDs flash when the specific LAN port is sending or receiving data. The green 10/100 LEDs are lighted to indicate a speed of 100 Mbps and unlighted to indicate a speed of 10 Mbps.

Does the WAN port have a similar light indication (specifically unlit)?

(maybe this all moot if you want a new router anyway)

Solution
G

You might try lowering the MTU setting in the router -- default is 1500 try dropping to 1400. There are a couple of programs intended to guide on correct setting: DrTCP and TCPOptimizer -- I think both are free downloads.

dgingeri

Distinguished
stay away from D-Link. From my experiences, they don't last long. The 3 I've had int he family (two at my parents' house and one was mine) they barely lasted through the 90 day warranty. My dad's wireless B router died after 4 months, the wireless G routers lasted 5 months each.

My netgear 624 lasted me 4+ years until it died last night. I'm likely going to replace it with another netgear.

Shabla

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
So wireless router are fine now ? Won't it be slower than a wired one ?
We have 2 computers, my father's MAC, and he doesn't use it for download purpose (YouTube streaming at worst), and mine on Windows 7 (heavy gaming and download). Our rooms are next to each other, separated by a wall. From what I got a Netgear or Linksys would be ok ?

I'm currently downloading at 3 Mb/s in Azureus while directly on the modem (and I find that pretty damn awesome), on the router I had 500 Kb/s ...

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have a D-Link that's 5+ years old and still going... I had a newer Linksys that overheated and crashed constantly that I took back after fighting with it for 2 weeks... and I've had an Apple Airport Extreme N wireless that's been going strong now for nearly 2 years. I think people's experiences will vary on the brands... again, pick one you've heard of, and take it back if it sucks.