Had to improper shutdown my PC, now it will not turn on, anyone know?

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
My computer was running fine than it just froze, I could not do a regular restart or shutdown, so I just held the power button and shut it down. Now it wil not turn on, the power button just turns orange and green for like a half a second than stops. For like a second, my graphics card fan will spin, the green and orange lights go on for like 1 second. Then everything stops. Anyone know why? I am guessing the Power supply would be the problem. I tried unplugging everything, and just try turning it on with the main power cord, but that did not work at all, same results.

rreeder

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
What were you doing when it froze? Playing a game? This happened to me while playing Left 4 dead and my Hard Drive got corrupted. Hope it's not your problem, but I hope you have it backed up anyway. Hard boots are hard on your computer. If you rule out PSU. Try single sticks of RAM to eliminate a bad stick while trying to boot. If after that it probably is your Hard Drive corrupted. Good luck.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
all ready tried putting in a different hard drive that did not work either. computer froze right after i exited out a program then everything just stopped. gonna try different sticks of ram. the green light still comes on my mother board though, does that mean it is ok?

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

I did that now my computer does something else. It still will not turn on, but the lights keep blinking on and off now and my graphics card fan goes on and off really quick.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

cool. thx a lot man. gonna replace it as soon as i get it in. do i still have to do that bios reset now? because i still did what u said before.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
When you get the new psu, you will have to set the bios, but only the time and date. When they aren't set after loosing power, the computer tends to be unstable. Look around for which button accesses your bios during startup, when you get the screen that has the dell post at the very begining, try pressing delete key, it generally is bios key. Or F2 or F12.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

i got another question. before i did what u said, i would press the power button and it would just blink orange and green once. After i did what u said, without pressing the power button, by just plugging it in, it starts blinking repeatedly like every 3-4 seconds. i dont have to press the power button for it to blink. does this mean i did something wrong? or is it still the psu??

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

i did everything correctly. could it be something wrong with the motherboard wiring in the front (near the power button, and front usbs?) not sure what else can be the problem, i was sure the psu would be the problem. its still doing the same thing.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

1,2,3 light up, 4 does not. the power button goes orange on and off after i plug it in (with out pressing the power button). With the new psu, the psu fans moves in the same motion, the graphics card fan goes on and off (all ready tried changing the graphics card, same ***). there is a green light on the mother board that stays on when i plug it in. inside near the power button, there is a orange and green light that go on and off.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

after a while when i left it on. the video card fan stopped, the psu fan is still going. everything else is the same. any clue now? the number 4 light is not blinking or staying on, while the 1,2,3 are blinking on and off. perhaps there is something wrong in that frontal area near the usbs and power button.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

no sure this helps or not, but i remember before my computer messed up, i used to get error message when i tried to use one of my usb ports in the front of my computer, saying something about power i think. so that usb was unusable. nothing else i can really think off. read my above post if u havent all ready. have some other useful information in there. thank you btw.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
The problem was actually my frontal I/O panel, but still appreciate your help everyone and computerrock1 in particular. His idea of a CMOS boot helped me figure out it was my I/O Panel.

Sorry for the really late update (like a year late), but I thought this might be useful for future people who have a similar issue with their E510.