Sign in with
Your question

Bent pins

Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2010 1:57:31 AM

Hey guys, I was working on my computer today and as I took the stock heat sink off, the damn CPU came with it. So anyways, putting it back in I kind of bent the pins because I was so pissed off about the heat sink ripping out the CPU I didn't go into the socket perfectly level and some pins got bent. Well I took out some tweezers and a small thin flat head screw driver to straighten them out. I used a magnifying glass to look at the CPU pins too make sure they were as straight as possible. It went 99% into the socket and then I had to nudge it a little to get it in. I took it out and put it back in a few times to make sure the pins were straight and not damaged.

So now that I put it together it won't start. I have another motherboard I can put the CPU to test it, I just need to get some more thermal paste, as I just barely had enough to change the heat sink. I am worried that the socket maybe damaged. The motherboard light comes on, the CPU fan is plugged in, all wires are good. So I think it has been eliminated to either the socket or the CPU.

More about : bent pins

a b à CPUs
August 10, 2010 2:19:24 AM

Poisoner said:
Hey guys, I was working on my computer today and as I took the stock heat sink off, the damn CPU came with it. So anyways, putting it back in I kind of bent the pins because I was so pissed off about the heat sink ripping out the CPU I didn't go into the socket perfectly level and some pins got bent. Well I took out some tweezers and a small thin flat head screw driver to straighten them out. I used a magnifying glass to look at the CPU pins too make sure they were as straight as possible. It went 99% into the socket and then I had to nudge it a little to get it in. I took it out and put it back in a few times to make sure the pins were straight and not damaged.

So now that I put it together it won't start. I have another motherboard I can put the CPU to test it, I just need to get some more thermal paste, as I just barely had enough to change the heat sink. I am worried that the socket maybe damaged. The motherboard light comes on, the CPU fan is plugged in, all wires are good. So I think it has been eliminated to either the socket or the CPU.

Um.... Was there a question in that? :D  ........

m
l
August 10, 2010 2:43:15 AM

I think there was. Anyways, I called Asus and they are going to RMA it for me. So I guess they are assuming that the socket itself broke. Yay for me, because while I like the mother board, its always been real fickle about overclocking. Can't say I am sad its broken.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2010 6:11:04 AM

what exactly is the problem or question
m
l
August 10, 2010 7:50:27 AM

Did you post this thread to ask for help or because you just want to tell us about you bending your pins?

If you DO want us to help you out, pls tell us exactly what you need help in :) 
A question is best identified by a "?" you know. Otherwise we won't know how to help you...
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2010 2:37:29 PM

Next time heat up the computer and when you remove the heatsink twist it. Less chances of the CPu coming out of the socket.
The same thing has happened to me on occasion.
m
l
!