Sign in with
Your question

Intel 520 - 120 or 180 GB?

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2012 5:57:24 PM

First time posting on Tom's Hardware.

I'm in the market for an internal SSD primary hard drive for my laptop. I've done some research and I've pretty much settled on the Intel 520 series.

I know that the Intel 520 series has had it share of problems (though driver updates seemed to have patched things up) and Tom's Hardware recommends the Samsung 830 and the OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS.

But I'll stick with the Intel 520 series, since it's extremely fast and also it's the "cheapest" SSD drive (when comparing the good ones) from a website that I'm customizing my laptop from. (They charge Intel 520 same price as Newegg, while they charge $80 more than price on Newegg for OCZ Vertex 3.)
I'd rather have a "technician" install my hard-drive, rather than myself.

Anyway, back to the question that I wanted to ask.

Should I get the Intel 520 in 120 GB or 180 GB? Will I have enough space with the 120 GB?

I plan on having the normal bloatware (Windows 7, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, etc). I may install some extra programs, but nothing too space-consuming. I play most of my games on a console, so only a couple of games on the hard drive.
I don't store too many movies; usually delete them after I finish watching them. And I don't have a whole collection of Pandora. Only a couple of GB for songs.

Is there any other programs that I didn't factor in, which consume hard-drive space as well?
Also, besides the extra space, what else am I missing out on by getting the 120 GB over the 180 GB?

Price is definitely a factor here, as I would prefer not to spend $60 extra.

More about : intel 520 120 180

July 31, 2012 6:11:02 PM

120 seems to be the sweet spot around the block. I have OS + critical apps + 4 games and have 40GB leftover.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 117 G Storage
July 31, 2012 6:12:35 PM

If you are proficient windows user, you should be OK with the 120GB .... however, I just looked at a build I did for someone back in November and they have 7GB free space ..... Although they were manually pointing program installs to the HD, "Common files" were still going on C:\

Another thing that oft winds up there are e-mail folders ... you have to manually move them and many windows users are not comfy with this.

Another aspect is that with SSD's ..... all things being equal, bigger is almost always faster.

Too bad you supplier doesn't offer the Chronos Deluxe. At $180, it's currently the cheapest 240 GB SSD by far that sits in THG's Tier 1 club.

m
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 537 G Storage
July 31, 2012 6:17:24 PM

A 120GB drive formatted is 111.6GB. A Windows 7 install with all Service Packs and updates is around 20GB. So you will have around 92GB of free space to install the rest of your programs, games, & data files.

Go to the website of each program and see what the system requirements are.
There you will see how much space the program needs to install.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:17:54 PM

I had a Intel 520 120gb and I changed to a Samsung 830 256GB because I was running out of room for my games. I paid the same price on that Samsung as I did the 520 when it first came out ~$190. Now my laptop has the 520 SSD.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:19:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.

JackNaylorPE said:
If you are proficient windows user, you should be OK with the 120GB .... however, I just looked at a build I did for someone back in November and they have 7GB free space .....

I'm assuming that for the person who you built it for, you installed 120 GB?

JackNaylorPE said:
Although they were manually pointing program installs to the HD, "Common files" were still going on C:\

What do you mean by this?
The Intel 520 SSD is going to be my primary and only hard drive on the laptop.
I've seen Common files before; what exactly are they and I did not know they took up so much space.

JackNaylorPE said:
Another thing that oft winds up there are e-mail folders ... you have to manually move them and many windows users are not comfy with this.

I don't use Microsoft Outlook. I use Gmail.
Are you saying that the data from my Gmail ends up on my hard drive and takes up space?

JackNaylorPE said:
Another aspect is that with SSD's ..... all things being equal, bigger is almost always faster.

Too bad you supplier doesn't offer the Chronos Deluxe. At $180, it's currently the cheapest 240 GB SSD by far that sits in THG's Tier 1 club.

That's what I figured.

I'll be content with the Intel 520's, although 240 GB definitely sounds sweet.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:25:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

ForTehNguyen said:
I had a Intel 520 120gb and I changed to a Samsung 830 256GB because I was running out of room for my games. I paid the same price on that Samsung as I did the 520 when it first came out ~$190. Now my laptop has the 520 SSD.

How many games were you installing and how big were the files?

Most of the games that I play, I play on my console. The only exceptions are CS: Global Offensive (when it comes out) and League of Legends (friend got me into this).
I may install some other games, but only a couple at most.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:32:21 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Dereck47 said:
A 120GB drive formatted is 111.6GB. A Windows 7 install with all Service Packs and updates is around 20GB. So you will have around 92GB of free space to install the rest of your programs, games, & data files.

Go to the website of each program and see what the system requirements are.
There you will see how much space the program needs to install.

Why exactly is it formatted like that? Pre-installed bloatware?

Also, is it a flat percentage? So I should only expect 93% of the 180 GB that I would be able to use?

Thanks. I will do a search for the program requirements.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 537 G Storage
July 31, 2012 6:43:45 PM

bpeter289 said:
Why exactly is it formatted like that? Pre-installed bloatware?

SSD & HDD manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes.
Microsoft & RAM manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Also, is it a flat percentage? said:
Also, is it a flat percentage?

Yes, the difference between the 2 methods is 7%.

So I should only expect 93% of the 180 GB that I would be able to use? said:
So I should only expect 93% of the 180 GB that I would be able to use?

Correct.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:46:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.

DarkOutlaw said:
120 seems to be the sweet spot around the block. I have OS + critical apps + 4 games and have 40GB leftover.

This is pretty much the same thing that I'll be doing. OS + critical programs (i.e. Google Chrome, Microsoft Office, and etc) + a couple of games.

I'm assuming that you're also using a 120 GB SSD as well?
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:53:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.

DarkOutlaw said:
Following this guide should solve that issue:

Install Windows 7

Whether I purchase the Intel 520 SSD through the supplier or from a website such as Newegg, it's the same price.
The two differences is that if I buy it through a supplier, a "technician" will install it for me. If I was upgrading the hard-drive on a desktop, then it's a different story. But the laptop that I'm trying to get is the MSI 460DX-291US.

With the thinner, yet still powerful laptops have compacted everything together. So taking a laptop like this apart and installing a hard drive isn't worth the hassle.

The downside to this is that I won't have a 500 GB hard drive that I could flip on eBay for a couple of bucks.

EDIT: Is it possible to create an external hard drive with the internal 500 GB hard drive (after I take it out) that comes with the laptop?
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:54:49 PM

Dereck47 said:
SSD & HDD manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes.
Microsoft & RAM manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Interesting. I didn't know that till today.

Thanks for the info.
m
l
!