geil value plus 2x4GB RAM

here are the details of my ram modules
- PC3-12800 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9-28
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR3 DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- 1.4V-1.6V Power Supply
- Lifetime Warranty
- DBT - Die hard burn-in technology (Improved reliability)
- Sandybridge compatible

My question is: how can set up my RAM to run at 1600mhz? At the moment it is running at 1066mhz. I tried setting the 9-9-9-28 values in the BIOS but still shows 1066mhz; so I put the values back to auto. I know this sounds noob, but I thought I should ask before doing anything.

There are similar posts I googled but I cannot quite understand them.

Will the change of RAM frequency affect the CPU frequency? I would not like to overclock it you see.

Any help welcome.

Thanks a lot.
March 5, 2011 8:38:07 AM

I'm not completely sure. But I think when you oc your cpu it will also raise you memory up. Thuse the rating on the ram. It can go up that high, but I'm sure it probably says you need to oc it to do so. Since you don't want to oc your cpu anyways there is no point in oc the ram. You won't see any real performance gains other then benches.
March 5, 2011 8:46:40 AM

i dont want to oc the ram. I was just thinking of setting it to the 1600mhz stock speed. Now it only runs at 1066
March 5, 2011 11:59:31 AM

There is an XMP option but it is disabled and greyed, which means I cannot turn it on. Am I missing something? Do you think that my RAM might not support XMP? If not, how can I set it to its advertised 1600mhz speed?

Is doing it manually my only option? or there is something wrong with my RAM modules and XMP support?
!