Sign in with
Your question

Forgot to install standoffs.

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2010 4:07:15 AM

Long story short I built a computer about a week ago. However I neglected to read the directions and I made one critical newbie/idiot error. I forgot to install the standoffs. I booted up the PC about 3-4 times without the standoffs and there seemed to be no problems. Of course I put them in as soon as I figured out my mistake. I've had no random shutoffs or anything but how can I know whether or not i've damaged something?

Oh and there are some extra slots in my case under my motherboard which are for standoffs. Presumably for larger MOBOs. They don't make contact with the board at all but should I install these or leave them out?
June 9, 2010 5:53:28 AM

ThePHD said:
Long story short I built a computer about a week ago. However I neglected to read the directions and I made one critical newbie/idiot error. I forgot to install the standoffs. I booted up the PC about 3-4 times without the standoffs and there seemed to be no problems. Of course I put them in as soon as I figured out my mistake. I've had no random shutoffs or anything but how can I know whether or not i've damaged something?

Oh and there are some extra slots in my case under my motherboard which are for standoffs. Presumably for larger MOBOs. They don't make contact with the board at all but should I install these or leave them out?

Don't take this the wrong way, but your handle is "ThePHD" and your asking this question? :heink: 

With no apparent symptoms or problems, you may have gotten lucky. EXTREMELY lucky.

Don't install the standoffs your not using. In other words, if there is no screw going through a motherboard hole into the standoff, don't install the standoff.

You may wish to take a close look at a few of the stickys.
June 9, 2010 6:38:44 AM

Trust me I don't have a PhD and i'm not pretending to. The initials mean something else entirely. Hence the reason it's not ThePh.D I'm not good with computers and never claimed to be. I just wanted some help with this particular problem.
Related resources
June 9, 2010 6:46:30 AM

ThePHD said:
Trust me I don't have a PhD and i'm not pretending to. The initials mean something else entirely. Hence the reason it's not ThePh.D I'm not good with computers and never claimed to be. I just wanted some help with this particular problem.

I was just being silly. Besides, you could be a PHD and still not know squat about PC's. Trust me, I have known a few.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2010 5:09:28 PM

ThePHD said:
Long story short I built a computer about a week ago. However I neglected to read the directions and I made one critical newbie/idiot error. I forgot to install the standoffs.

No, the error was in not reading the manuals :) . Here's the deal....you order your parts and spend 3-5 days waiting for them to arrive. In that time you should:

1. Download all the component manuals. RTFM. Print them out, in color if you have access to a color laser or inkjet designed for printing out more than 3 pages at a time. Create a 3 ring binder, with section separator tab thingies. Read this several times over the days in waiting using a highlighter for important parts. Put in safe place when done....you will no doubt be looking for this binder months down the road when ytou need to troubleshoot something.

2. Download all the latest drivers, BIOS, firmware from your component manufacturer sites. Best not to let windows update do this. Best not to sue the CD's that come in the box as 9/10 times they are outta data and you have to do it again. Put these on a CD or USB drive. Put the CD in the sleeve on the inside cover of the binder above.

3. Make sure you have all necessary tools and proper work space / surface.
!