• Graphics Cards
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Compatibility
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2010 4:27:36 AM

Hello,

I am in the market for a new computer and I want to get something that will give me the best bang for my buck and will last me. I would like to get something from best buy so I can get 18 months same as cash. My current plan is to get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+with+...

and buy a new power supply and video card. My biggest concern is that the mobo isn't crossfire compatible, which isn't a problem now, but I will probably want another video card in a couple of years (I'm gonna go with the radeon 5770)

Right now I pretty much just play wow, and I'll play diablo 3 when it comes out and probably the next Battlefield that comes out, and I want max settings with good FPS.

If anyone knows if this is crossfire compatible or could suggest a better route please feel free to tell me :) 

Sorry for tldr :) 

More about : site tomshardware pavillion crossfire compatible

a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 4:58:54 AM

Well, on HP's website the HP Pavilion P6404Y's motherboard only has one PCI-e 16x slot, and wouldn't support CrossFireX.
m
l
May 4, 2010 5:01:13 AM

>.< thats what I was afraid of. I'd much rather build my own pc anyway but 18 months same as cash is so tempting. Thanks for the quick response
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b α HP
May 4, 2010 5:01:16 AM

Since BestBuy links won't work after a bit I listed your system specs for others.
Pavilion Desktop with AMD Phenom II 820 Quad 8GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9100 graphic
Model: P6404y / BestBuy SKU: 9840522

BestBuy spec sheet shows Available Expansion Slots as 1 PCI, 1 PCI E x1, 1 PCI E x16, 1 mini cord (should be mini-card, not cord)
Which agrees with the HP website product specs a single PCI-E x16 video card slot.

Crossfire is not an option for that model's motherboard.
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 12:06:26 PM

what is your monitor?

If your monitor is small then you will be fine with just a single HD5770...
Or if you want a long term then save a little bit and grab HD 5850.
m
l
!