Sign in with
Your question

Computer Blue Screens.... Possibly the hard drive??

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2012 7:26:04 PM

Hi All,

Here is my issue...

I was running an 160gb Western Digital IDE hard drive in this system:

3.1 Dual Core AMD Athlon (64?) 6000+
4gb RAMM
MSI K9N SLI mobo
Radeon HD 4650 video card (running dual 22in monitors)
Windows XP Pro

I bought a new SATA hard drive and installed in the computer case. I threw the 160gb IDE hard drive (the one in question) into an old Dell B110 computer. Windows booted up with the hard drive in the Dell, but the mouse and keyboard both do not work (no matter what USB port they are plugged into) and the screen seems like it's in Grayscale and real gritty.

I soon realized that my power supply could not support the new SATA drive (not enough power connections) so I put the old 160gb IDE hard drive back into my good computer where it was before. Now, once the "windows xp" start up screen goes off (like it's about to load the OS) I get a blue screen of death error. It doesn't appear to list a certain device that may be causing the problem, so all I have to go off of is the STOP message which is error 0x000007E. I cannot find much on Google about this error...

I have a copy of Windows 7 and plan to install on the new SATA drive I've bought, but I have data on the 160gb IDE hard drive that I need to get off. Otherwise, I'd do a completely new install of XP and call it a day, lol.

My question is, does anyone have an idea of how to get the data off the old hard drive? The new system I'll be building does not support IDE connections, so running it as a secondary drive won't be an option. It gets a wee bit more tricky here, lol, as I have the 160 IDE hard drive partitioned into 3 partitions. One has all of my website work on it, one has all of my music/videos/media on it, and the 3rd is the system partition with the OS and installed programs. I only need the data from the "Work" and "Media" partitions.. everything else can be deleted as they are mostly programs I need to install on the new windows 7 SATA drive.

Yes, I can get into safe mode but haven't been able to identify the BSOD problem to fix in safe mode. Yes, I've ran the repair feature using the XP cd, and yes it completed because it told me I had to restart te computer to continue the repair.
Yes, I've ran the recovery console using the XP cd. In the recovery console I was able to do a "chkdsk /p" a couple times until the status came up with no errors. I still get the BSOD.
Yes, I have a IDE/SATA to USB adapter to transfer files that way. I'm afraid to attempt it though with it blue screening, and I had a Micro Center technician tell me I may need more software since I have the hard drive partitioned out.

Any help, ideas, or solutions are greatly appreciated.
a c 125 G Storage
July 31, 2012 8:19:50 PM

when you installed the drive into another pc windows xp tried to load the mb drivers for that new system. you now have two sets of mb and system drivers on that xp install. the easy way to try and fix your issue. is boot onto the xp install in safe mode.
run ms-config...go to the start up tab turn every thing off. under programs uninstall the video card drivers. the ngo to device manager and remove all the driver there. (make sure you have on a cd or usb stick the mb driver..network drivers and video card drivers. with all the drivers removed try and restart in normal mode. if it was a driver issue you should be able to get to the desktop and reload the system drivers and reboot fine.
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:38:40 PM

smorizio said:
when you installed the drive into another pc windows xp tried to load the mb drivers for that new system. you now have two sets of mb and system drivers on that xp install. the easy way to try and fix your issue. is boot onto the xp install in safe mode.
run ms-config...go to the start up tab turn every thing off. under programs uninstall the video card drivers. the ngo to device manager and remove all the driver there. (make sure you have on a cd or usb stick the mb driver..network drivers and video card drivers. with all the drivers removed try and restart in normal mode. if it was a driver issue you should be able to get to the desktop and reload the system drivers and reboot fine.

I had someone suggest it was because I installed into the Dell and it's reading the wrong drivers, but they (Micro Center) didn't go into any details like this, lol.

The only drivers I do not have is the video card driver... I have my mobo disc still, and I may have network drivers (although my network / internet stuff is always picked up automatically).

I had a possible idea as well. Since my hard drive is in 3 partitions (C, D, and E(OS)), would I be able to just reinstall XP on my E partition and the data on C and D not be lost? I feel like I should be able to do the reinstall, and when the computer boots it should still recognize C and D partitions as if they were just two more drives. Does this make sense / would it work?
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 G Storage
August 1, 2012 6:54:19 AM

should not have to change or reinstall xp. just clean out the drivers in save mode. just boot and hit f8 go into system devices and remove the ones for the system board first and any that come up more then once like 3 or 4 cd-rom drives.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 1, 2012 8:00:09 AM

"I had a possible idea as well. Since my hard drive is in 3 partitions (C, D, and E(OS)), would I be able to just reinstall XP on my E partition and the data on C and D not be lost? "

Yes u can...... (sound like some campaign adv) :D 

when u reinstall it to E (clean/not) the d: and c: will still there, in the new installed os the drive letter will change though ... e: (old) becoming c: (new) the other becoming d: and e: .....

But if u can go to safe mode and clear the driver problem, u will retain your data in e:....
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:00:23 PM

rdc85 said:
"I had a possible idea as well. Since my hard drive is in 3 partitions (C, D, and E(OS)), would I be able to just reinstall XP on my E partition and the data on C and D not be lost? "

Yes u can...... (sound like some campaign adv) :D 

when u reinstall it to E (clean/not) the d: and c: will still there, in the new installed os the drive letter will change though ... e: (old) becoming c: (new) the other becoming d: and e: .....

But if u can go to safe mode and clear the driver problem, u will retain your data in e:....

Cool. The data on E is basically just programs that I've downloaded or installed. All of it is disposable since I'll be installing everything on the new SATA hard drive. I plan to do a fresh install of XP once I'm able to grab the data from my partitions.
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:05:52 PM

smorizio said:
should not have to change or reinstall xp. just clean out the drivers in save mode. just boot and hit f8 go into system devices and remove the ones for the system board first and any that come up more then once like 3 or 4 cd-rom drives.

Thanks for the tips. I'm in the process of building a new updated system, but I will have a go at this issue either tonight or tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how it works out.. If I can go this route, I'd rather so I don't take a chance of losing my partitions, lol.

Also, like I said below to rdc85, I will be doing a fresh XP install once I can pull the data to copy to the new hard drive. I may consider grabbing an external drive or something so I can start backing up this data every so often.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:44:21 AM

smorizio said:

I can get into safe mode, and I wanna know, by going into system devices, do you mean the device manager? Where are the drivers for the system board? There's a system devices drop down menu, should I only have one of everything running?

These are some of the things in the system devices menu running multiple times-
Motherboard resources, pci standard host cpu bridge, pci standard pci to pci bridge, etc..
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:18:19 PM

Well, good news. Hooking the old IDE hard drive to the IDE to USB transfer kit worked out very nicely. It reads all three partitions like they are seperate drives. When I turned everything on I had a "auto play" window open up for each partition, so files are now transferred to this new build.

I would still like to figure out the issue with old IDE hard drive BSOD. This way if I encounter the issue again I will be able to fix it.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 5, 2012 1:32:19 AM

well changing mobo will need fresh install of OS, if using old one problems will accour (it's mobo driver/OS related not hdd related)..

btw glad to hear everything is fine (u might amazed by how much improvement in transfer speed SATA had if u compare it to IDE :D )
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:56:05 PM

Well, I tried deleting the repeating drivers and such under the "System Devices" drop down menu in my Device Manager and it didn't help. I have just done a clean install of my Windows XP. Figured there was no sense in trying to fix it since I was able to transfer the data to the new build.

Sorry for anyone else reading through this thread, but I did not find a fix for this issue.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 3:22:12 AM

The saying that new mobo = new OS still holds true.... :D  (except If using identical mobo and sometimes same chipset mobo)
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:55:11 PM

rdc85 said:
The saying that new mobo = new OS still holds true.... :D  (except If using identical mobo and sometimes same chipset mobo)

Yeah, I agree it does still hold true... I had no problem with the new motherboard. I installed Windows 7 on it and haven't had any problems.

The BSOD I was trying to fix was on my old hard drive (which was never installed in the new machine with the new mobo). The problem is that I tried to hook it up to an old Dell computer that I was going to build for the garage because I was initially only trying to upgrade my original computer. Then I built the new rig and no longer needed the Dell. So, I took the old hard drive out of the Dell and installed it back into the original computer and the BSOD hit.
m
l
August 14, 2012 11:59:34 PM

Just for the thread's final answer.... I never solved this problem. I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall my OS.
m
l
!