Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is psu gone after only one power up?

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2010 12:48:15 PM

built a new pc, powered it on one time, fans spun and lights on but no video. realized cpu power plug from psu to mobo not attached, unplugged it and hooked them up, but now i get nothing when hitting power button, tried the paperclip test shown in the video but nothing happens. is there a reset or did i break it unplugging it? its an ocz stealthxstream 600w psu

More about : psu power

June 9, 2010 12:55:02 PM

This is a dumb question, but sometimes it's the little things. Did you remember to flip the switch on the back of the PSU back to closed from open?
m
l
June 9, 2010 12:59:51 PM

yes i did, and checked the plugs were in tight and the outlet had power. i'll take any response, this is my first build and i'm eager to get it going.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2010 1:10:26 PM

Also check all power connections on the mobo and on your cards and accessories. But if it did fail, you'd rather it go out now than later and possibly ruin something else. Though OCZ is supposed to be good stuff.
m
l
June 9, 2010 1:38:07 PM

Have you tried replacing the fuse in the PSU plug? Or using your monitor plug in your PSU to test it? I had a brand new PSU but the fuse was actually dead in the plug, replaced that and all good
m
l
June 9, 2010 1:39:48 PM

well i guess its the psu then and i'll have to return it since it will not power on even with just the paperclip jumped across the green and black wire and one case fan connected. just making sure there wasn't some kind of reset or something i didn't know about.
m
l

Best solution

June 9, 2010 1:55:33 PM

Ok, sounds like the fuse in the PSU plug is gone but the PSU itself is fine. So, just need to replace the plug fuse assumin you have a spare fuse around. Or if you have a spare monitor or PSU cable you can use that in the PSU
June 9, 2010 1:58:01 PM

hot damn, used the monitor cord and the psu came on!!! now i'll hook it back up and try again, finally some hope
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:03:30 PM

i see no possible way to get into the cord and change the fuse, just sealed plastic/or rubber on both ends, no screws or caps of any kind, but i'm sure i can find an old cable lying around somewhere, let you know what happens when i find one
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:11:10 PM

I don't know how your plugs work, but in the UK our plugs have a small compartment in between the pins of the plug (course ours have 3 pins and are bigger) a small scre driver pops up the 'lid' of the compartment and then you can remove the fuse.

But otherwise, I am sure you or friends have an unused monitor o PSU cable lying around, or maybe work or school can 'donate' one to you (not that I condone petty theft in anyway!). Failing that you should be able to buy a PSU/Monitor cable for very little either online or in a store
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:29:31 PM

Best answer selected by codybo.
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:33:33 PM

alright!!!! im running with video, thankyou so much asteldian for your help didn't want to wait the 2 weeks or more it would have taken to return the psu.
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:34:51 PM

No problem, happy to help.
Funny how sometimes it can be something so simple that we never think of - when a computer Power Supply doesn't work we succumb to our worse fears of faulty product and RMA territory, it never occurs to us to change fuse or consider the actual plug at fault like we would with a blown lamp :) 
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:43:21 PM

Weird, in the US I've only seen that design once, and that was on like a 20 ft long outdoor extension cord for powertools and stuff like that. None of the computer cables I've seen here use the fuses as of yet.
m
l
!